Ebayer's beware!! 2004Springer-$4,000.00

Jim

Ebayer\'s beware!! 2004Springer-$4,000.00

I notice more and more of these scams lately,With cars also. here's one,there was another but ebay just removed it.Just for kicks,I emailed the seller,here's what he said

"Hello dear eBayer,

First of all let me tell you that I am pleased that
are interested in my eBay auction.

The 'pre-approved buyer' feature has been added to
prevent non serious buyers from ending the auction
early, I hope you have no problem with that.
You have to know that the bike I am selling is 100%
working and great looking, no scratches or any kind of
damage, no flood or wrecked. I am it's first owner.

I just moved to Portugal because my wife is Portuguese
and she wanted to be closer to her parents as they are
old and very ill. The bike is here with us as well. We
are expecting a baby in a few weeks and I really want
to improve the old house we bought when we moved in
time for the baby.

I have bought and registered the bike back in the
United States , but unfortunately I wasn't able to
register it here in Europe. For that I have pay a very
big fee and I will also have to start an individual
procedure for the vehicle through the Government and I
really can't afford those expenses right now with the
baby on the way.

Those are the reasons why the price I want for it is
just $4,000.00 USD. Shipping will be done by boat and
the bike will arrive in 5-7 days. The bike will be
inssured at the shipping company for the transport.
All documents, including owner's manual in english,
clear title and bill of sale will be provided along
with the bike.

I'm a serious seller and a fair trader and I prefer to
deal only with a serious buyer. If you consider
yourself one please e-mail me back so we can start our
deal.
So, please reply back with your full name and shipping
address and your eBay username if you are really
interested in purchasing this bike so we can start the
arrangements!

My best wishes!

Another attempt to steal your ebay username and whatever else they can get. (a downpayment)The other one wanted the exact information too but was in Athens, Greece.
If's it sounds to good to be true...it probably is!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/roflmao.gif

T

TAZ

Re: Ebayer\'s beware!! 2004Springer-$4,000.00

Jim,
Yea, you really have to be careful...the funny thing is, almost all the wording is the same on all these scams...give me your 'least price'. I will have someone else pick up the item with a MO more than what it's worth. You have to write a check for the difference. Their check will be bad, and of course yours will be good. I get a couple a day on this. They are really wearing this out...especially when they are all about the same.
Most are from UK, Africa or Nigeria.

Another is the ebay, Citi, and paypal scams. They send you a link, and it goes to a site that you need to input all your info. It's all a scam. They look like liget URL's, but reallisically, they take you to a different address.

Anyway, the last two ebay auctions were ruined because of the scammers doing the Buy-It-Now. I finally found out you can change in your ebay preferences to let only bidders in a your choice of shippping area to bid. in other words, if they are out of country, they can't bid if you set it to this.

Someday, maybe someone will make it so everyone is accounted for instead of all the freebie email addresses. This ruins the internet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/peace.gif

T

TAZ

I forgot to mention one, time I went to H-D bikes and saw three bikes in a row that were 'private'. All three were a starting bid of about $56, with a buy-it-now of $76...at least they gave it away pretty easily that is was a scam. All were legit ebayer screennames, just the scammer got their info from one of the ebay scam emails...sooo beware folks like Jim says!

LudicrousSpeed

I got one of those Citi scams the other day. At least I think it was a scam. Really legit looking, but they were asking me to VERIFY MY ACCOUNT NUMBER!

Part of me thinks that if someone thinks they can get a harley or busa for $1000 then they almost deserve to lose that cash, but almost every auction is garbage on there anymore!

Shame, too.....

Jim

C'mon LS,It's not that bad...yet.Ebay is still a good thing,it's just that the scammers are finding out how to use it too.I bought and sold quite a bit of stuff on ebay without any problems.I just posted that to let other guys know that scammers are there and to be careful with thier money.Unless it's a cheap item,it's hard not to see it's a scam.A guy out here took a 20k cashiers check for his bike,it was bogus and got screwed.Scams are everywhere!Scumbags!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beat.gif

Bornhard

There was a scam a couple years ago that my dumb ass sister almost got scammed on.

This person from Russia contacted her, because she had her Harley Sportster for sale on the net. This person said that they were involved with the Russian police force and were looking for dependable Harley's to equip their police force.
The Russian lady gave my sister all the instructions on getting the Sportster transported to Miami and then over seas. Once my sister showed interest a check from Russia was sent for about $7000 to pay for the bike and cover the cost of shipping it to Russia. My sister deposisted the check and got the bike transported to Miami. A day or so later the bank called and said the check was fake (looked very official though) & this deal was a scam. I'm not real clear on how her and her husband halted the shipment of the Harley in Miami, but they used my truck and went down there and recovered it. She ended up selling it to a local HD Dealer for a $1000 less than she wanted, but the deal was legit and done & over with.

A bit reverse on the scam above, but still a scam. Out a Harley and the bank is on your ass for their money they put in your account 'cause of a fake check. Luckily she didn't spend it all in one day!

Jim

Ya,that's a bunch of crap too,If you give your bank a check,cash it,spend the money and the bank finds out it's bad,YOU have to pay the bank back.Even though they cashed it.Nobody wants to be responsible for anything any more.It's no wonder people don't trust each other any more.I'm lucky,I still have a few friends where a handshake is good enough. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/peace.gif

LudicrousSpeed

Maybe I was a bit harsh, but when I looked for a Hayabusa, almost every other ad for them was a scam.

Now that i have one, I hear about people trying to sell theirs and having the "Buy it Now " option used to end the auction, but the buyer was using a hacked account and did not intend to buy it. This one guy listed his two or three times and had that done.

Jim

I guess I see where your coming from now,Here's the reponse I got when I brought that auction to ebay's attention:
Hello,

Thanks for writing to us. I appreciate the chance to help you with your
questions.

The recent items listed with this account were the result of an
unauthorized account takeover. Unfortunately, we were not aware of this
activity until some time after the listings appeared on the site. Once
we became aware of this activity, immediate action was taken. We are now
in the process of restoring the account to its true owner. At this time
the transaction in question should be considered null and void.

Let me suggest a few ways this could have occurred.

If the user had a relatively simple password or password hint question
it is possible that a third party was able to gain access to the account
by guessing the password.

It is also possible that the user could have unknowingly provided his or
her password to another party. Some eBay members have reported receiving
messages asking for User IDs and passwords. These messages appear to
come from eBay Support, but in fact are not. eBay will never ask for
sensitive information of this nature through email.

Finally, there are a number of computer viruses in circulation that log
and record keystrokes. It's recommended that computer users keep their
virus alert software up-to-date, and check their system often for
problems. A firewall for high-speed Internet users is also highly
recommended.

Please be aware that eBay urges caution when purchasing high-priced
items, especially if the price seems too good to be true.

We do not recommend the use of instant cash wire transfer services such
as Western Union and MoneyGram, and we ask that users decline sending
payment in cases where these are the only methods of payment offered by
the seller. Generally, if payment is sent using an instant cash wire
transfer service and the item is not delivered as promised, no recourse
is available for recovering funds. In most cases, a verified escrow
service should be used when purchasing high dollar value items. More
information on the benefits and risks of individual payment methods can
be found at:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/payment.html

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Tallon
eBay SafeHarbor
Investigations Team

They do try but,it doesn't seem fast enough some times,can you imagine trying to run Ebay?Jim