Easy way of fixing runs/sags

trikypaint

I'll take a razor with 1000 grit sandpaper and run the razor over the sandpaper (away from the blade) a few times to give it a smooth edge. Next, I'll bend the razor into a slight "U" shape with the smooth edge facing out. Now you have a tool to cut the run down with nice and clean. Don't have to worry about the edge of the razor cutting into the paint surrounding the run (as long as you scrape in one direction).
You can now cut down a run in a matter of a couple minutes at the most without having to worry about the surrounding paint being damaged or creating waves from trying to sand the run out.

Thought I'd share.

Ed

S

shaunboy

At work we use stainless steel womens nail files or MEGUIRES unigrit sanding blocks.
But we also use the razor on big runs but tape either side of a stiff blade.
I cant seem to recall ever seeing a blade that bends like you said.Do you mean facial razors?
On a late model vehicle if the run is too big I prefer to block the hell out of it and respray.

trikypaint

Yeh, I've used the sanding blocks that you mentioned years ago and stopped after doing the bent razorblade trick (its more controllable). It's a straight single edge regular razor. When after preping (w/1000 grit) place it on your fore finger and thumb and bend it ever so slightly on the sides, just enough to give it a curve. That curve is what will attack that run/sag. The more you knock down the run, the more vertical you'll want to be with it to get it nice and smooth. It will knock it them down quick-give me two minutes with a run/sag and it will be gone without anyone knowing it was there. Try it on a test panel-you'll like it.

grumpy30000

I've always used a razor blade with a piece of masking tape run around each end so the corners wont dig in. works great for me better than those blocks

rex

I use the tape on the sides too but I use the thin green 3M 233 tape and I swipe the corners of the blade across the ground first to round off the points.Most blades nowadays are poor quality compare to years ago.Alot have a bow to them and I've gotten quite a few with untrue and even very course unpolished edges.Look at the edge good,a bad edge will tranfer it's shape to the clear and if you don't pay attention you'll have to sand out scratches left by the high spots of an unpolished edge.Once in a while I get one that looks like a fine saw blade.And this is from 3M!

hoss

I hit a run too early and pulled a chunk of clear off. so now i make sure that i run the blade not only forward but to the side also. Just like sawing in one direction.