Easy taping

B

beach-boy

The easiest way to tape flames that I have found is to use pinstriping tape to lay out the outline. When you are happy with your lines use shelf paper (clear is best) to overlay the taped off area. Then lightly cut the shelf paper along the pinstripe tape and remove the shelf paper from the area to be taped. It is a lot easier than using tons of masking tape. Good luck!
wink.gif

R

RAD Airbrush

Do you have any problems with the shef paper sticking and leaving residue behind when you try and remove it?

M

MsBrit

Thanks Beach Boy, I tried this on my first project, check it out (practice bike tank 1st Flames) and it worked great! I recommend this to anyone.

[ 02-16-2002: Message edited by: MsBrit ]

G

guest01

I have found a mask that works great for flame jobs....instead of using shelf paper which may leave a residue we use a 12" masking paper that can be found at most graphics supply stores.It leaves no residue and eliminates the use of annoying tape.

M

MsBrit

Here is an update! I did it! I did it! Check it out, I even built a website for the bike named Steve's Baby. Now about the shelf paper! Whats really funny is the first roll of shelf paper I used was fine. The second roll ('cause I ran out ~ so I had to run out and buy more) left a residue. The second roll was too thick! So if you are going to use shelf paper get the thin, clear contact paper. Anyway, check out the bike guys! I'm pretty proud of my "first custom flame job" AND the first time I used an airbrush! Except for the practice flames listed above. With ALL the "tips and tricks" from this site, the eps files from ez flames which I was able to manipulate, edit and size in Adobe Illustrator. Here is one photo but it doesn't show the fenders real well, but you can get the idea. Click on Steve's Baby for more pics!

NewBike%232LR.jpg

[ 03-23-2002: Message edited by: MsBrit ]

Great looking bike MsBrit!
Sorry, no links to other websites. Feel free to upload photos of your bike though.

G

guest01

works great!!!!!but don't use pinstripping...use 1/8 finline tape (blue) pinstriping is hard to remove without a heat gun

M

MsBrit

Thanks Jim, but Steve did the body work. Me, myself and I (MsBrit) did the flames! Did you check out the homepage for more pics?

P

paintricks

I've tried the shelf paper method and had some of the adhesive stay with my work. is ther a perticular brand you use or a way to keep this from happening? I still like the idea
Thanks,
Kevin

BDsbigZRX

I got a roll of the low tack paper form a local sign shop. It's clear, and 16" by 30'. It doesn't leave ANY residue on your basecoat, and doesn't pull hard enough to pull up your basecoat. I believe it was about $30. Also, I don't use the 1/8" fineline blue, I use the 1/16" 3M fineline tan, it lets you get really tight corners, and doesn't give any of the bleed-under problems that the blue stuff can on occasion.....

O

outlaw17

I got a roll of pre-mask , the stuff on top of Vinyl decals and stuff , and I tried that when I did my first ghost flame job , worked awesome , then I use the same stuff from the same roll about 4 months later to do the flames on my truck and it left residue all over , pissed me off , dont know why it happened .