e92 interior painting

chriss1314

Hi,
a few days ago i was trying to wrap my cars interior with a vinyl but the vinyl wasnt sticky enough and it didnt came out well
here is the element i succed with:
57384318_2095062377271737_3491088025373376512_n.jpg

but then i failed when doing the tunnel bit, so i decided that i have to paint it, but i have never done it before.

on this picture i have marked which elements i want to paint so there is a few plastics but those silver ones i think are made out of aluminium.
autowp.ru_bmw_320d_coupe_uk-spec_6.jpg

i have been watching a few videos of people painting and preparing different things but i have no idea what products i have to use.
i will have to sand those silver parts as they are scratched but some of them are reallly deep so shoud i put some filler on them first?
what grid of sandpaper i should use from 600 to 1500 to 3000 wet sandpaper?

then will i need two different primers? and if yes what primers would you recommend to use? i have a air spray gun at work which im planning to use for this.

then the color i wrapped it with satin matt chrome dark grey vinyl
same as here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Satin-Ma...var=492475910963&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
and im willing to paint for the same or close to it colour.
do i have to use different type of paint for plastic and aluminium or can it be the same? can you please recommend me some colour brands to use?

and last question what clear coat would you recommend to use?

i have never done it before but i want to give it a try

Last edited:

chopolds

Interior plastics can be made from many different types of plastic. Some are more difficult to paint, most are easy. In general, I scuff the parts up with some 600 grit, but 5oo or 800 would be OK, shoot some "adhesion promoter" on them, then shoot the color. If it's base/clear, you also should clear it, but if looking for a flat or satin finish, you probably don't have to. Interior parts don't get the abuse and weathering that exterior arts do. The adhesion promoter takes the place of primer in most cases, especially working with plastics.
As for what clear? Any type will work ( compatible with the base color). Even out of a spray can, again, interior parts don't get much abuse, except the steering wheel.