Don't really know where to post this

rex

Don\'t really know where to post this

Scott,great forum.I suppose I should intro myself.I've been in the paint/body buisness in FLA for 20 years.I learned to paint toward the end of lacquer and the beginning of basecoat like DBU and Miracryl(remember RM?excelent lacquer).About 5 years ago I started at Desoto Ford and went to body since combo work was out.If a painter goes on vacation I help out if the other painter can't handle it,and I paint bikes on the side.I've played with Amerflint,most of Dupont's line,a little Squirley Williams and RM,Glasurit(nice stuff then)and PPG (or Ditzler).I always come back to PPG and that's what I've used for most of the last 8 years.I worked for a paint store for a year or so in the early years and picked up alot of stuff.I've never been to paint school,but I'm still working on the boss.I don't think much of it,bit if A.S.E. certifications count (that stands for Another Stupid Example doesn't it?),I've been a master paint/body tech since I was made to take the test about 8 years ago and in '98 I won the Ford/ASE national award.The free trip to Vegas and the $ was cool,it turned into my vacation that year.Anyway,I have been away from the daily paint grind for a while,so if I say something that's wrong or outdated,please correct me.I don't like to give bad advice,and will never do so knowingly.Scott,you know a Frank with a gun forum over there in Tampa?I got talked into moderating part of his forum,so I'm off to there for now.Take care all.Sorry for posting here,I didn't see a general discussion forum.

T

TAZ

Re: Don\'t really know where to post this

Very good Rex, nice to meet you, Although I don't know Frank, I might know him if I saw him if he hangs around in the car/motorcycle show world.

I've been very busy setting up shop in the past month and also redoing this website, so it's physically impossibly to come to the board everyday and answer allposts. It's users like you that help make this board as successful as it is.
Glad you enjoy the "Flames Board".
Thanks!

rex

Thanx for the welcome.I notice there's a general forum now,hope you didn't add it at my expense.Good luck with the shop,I'm kicking around the idea of starting one if I can get enough work.I never should have quit painting,but I get too picky to make $ at production painting.Hopefully a few more bikes and I'll get it going.I'll look you up next time I get in the area.

T

TAZ

Actually it was a good idea to add a general discussion. I was also thinking about adding an "airbrush" section along with the "Tools of the Trade" and "General Discussion". Haven't decided yet though.

rex

I see some discusion of airbrushing so it might work.I have a little interest in it,but I suck at drawing.I might get a cheap one for shadowing,but that's the end of my abilities.Take care.

Jim

Paint jobs seem to be getting more and more detailed,Most effects can't be done without an airbrush,They are so handy for small parts and details,You can mix smaller amounts of paint and clean up is quick too.I'd love to see an airbrush section!!There not just for murals anymore.