Does my airbrush ****, or is it just me

Rifter

I have a Pasche type H, my old mom bought me because I said I would like to have one. I have tried it a couple times but not enough to be any good. Well today I decided to drop shadow some flames---- Hummmm not so good, but I'm going to keep this paint job as an example of Me needing more practice. I want to start doing more with an airbrush but the trouble I had using this one means maybe I need a better one, so since I'm NOT a pro and will only be using it for projects now and then what brush should I get? Any help would be appreciated.

hoss

paasche is an ok airbrush. I'm not sure what the type H is, but if it's double action (when you push-out comes the air. when you pull back-out comes the paint. the more paint you want the more you pull back.)

if it's a double action it should work for drop shadowing. practice w/ it and upgrade when you feel that that brush is holding your abilities back. as a newbie myself i though my brush was holding me back in the beginnings, but found out later that i was holding it's abilities back ;). keep practicing. and get an iwata the next time around.

martin3294

Weve all been there thinking our air brush is naff and a better airbrush will get us better results. The truth of the matter is that the better the quality of the airbrush is the better it will perform. It will only give better results when the airbrush is mastered and that takes a fair few years. As you get better with the airbrush the reality kicks in that it is the user rather than the brush. Your airbrush although not the best of brushes to use should still yield decent results if used properly. Practice, practice and more practice is the only way to go to master an airbrush. I have been airbrushing for 15 years and still learn different tricks even now. Don't expect instant results and don't get disheartened, a better brush can help your technique by a little but technique can be learned on even the worst airbrush.

Rifter

Thanks for the response, I think my brush is single action, it has 1 button on top with a screw that you can adjust the amount of air flow, and the paint flow is adjusted by the tip screwing in or out, my main trouble is not being able to get a fine enough line, and it blows splatter out around the line. I have the Passche compressor, she bought the whole system for me, and I have tried all 3 tips that came in the kit but they all throw a big line, how do I get the hair line that air brush is supposed to have?

martin3294

You will struggle to get a hairline with that brush, you need to get in close to your work area with it so that the tip is in close proximity to your work. also adjust the amount of paint to the minimum. air flow needs to be lowered but not so much to restrict any atomisation. Hairlines are only achievable with consistent results with a more professional airbrush. You should still be able to achieve it but will take a bit of setting up practice. Unfortunately it wont be less than 2mm with your make of brush, single action brushes are a bit fiddly like a dual action is, but a dual is easier to get the hang of quicker.

brooksie

Hi guys .. first post on here, been reading the forums though for a while.

I have been experiencing similar problems to you Rifter ... i think its a case of practice but ultimately knowing the limits of your brush. My brush was a really cheap Badger kit , this one : -

http://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=47_55&products_id=5039)

I'm still only using air cans at the moment, i've not been doing it long, my work is awful but i know it will get better with time. I've always been able to draw since i was a little boy but picking up an airbrush really is like starting all over again !

I would like to buy myself a nice Iwata and a compressor so will be doing this over the next few weeks.

Steve

Rifter

My 2 new air brushes

I just won on eBay 2 air brushes new in the box, one is a Iwata Eclipse ECL 2000 BCS and the other one is Iwata Eclipse HPCS. I think the HPCS is the one that was recommened in another post. I got them both for $121.51, I think that's a good price, the ECL has a hose and several bottles in a display box, the HPCS is just the brush in the display box. What do you think did I do ok?

the_grider

I agree with the others, I have an old H, single stage andI believe was uriginally set up for fine detail "ink". I never could get it to work with lacquers. We all get better with practice, but you do need to get a better brush. The VL set sells for about $69 an it is a GOOD, inexpensive brush. It will paint anything you get good enough to paint, freehand or frisket! Good luck!!!

fontgeek

With all alrbrushes the real challenge is mechanical. It's the Nut Behind the Wheel (YOU) that is the toughest to master. No airbrush will spray a line, on it's own, that's finer than the opening size of the nozzle. so even something with a 0.7 mm nozzle can do pretty nice detail
If you are getting splattering out of the Paasche H, it' typically one or more of the following as a cause; the paint is too thick, the airbrush isn't clean, and or the air pressure is too low.
The H is a single action, external mix brush, it's typically easy to clean and maintain, it's actually pretty capable of doing some fine lines, but it takes a bit of practice to do it routinely.