Do mini-flakes have to be buried with clear also prior to candy

K

KevinPainter

Larger flakes have to be buried with clear (and then sanded flat) before spraying candy layers. Is this also necessary with mini flakes? (Size MF-2 HOK)

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Normally the MF02 flakes and anything smaller really don't have to be clearcoated and resanded before final clearing or candy.

K

KevinPainter

Thanx.

Another question: i've read an instruction set about how to apply mf2 on your basecoat. It basically says: first apply your normal silver basecoat untill full coverage. Then over-reduce basecoat (25% extra reducer) and add 1 gram mf2 to each 10 grams of basecoat. Spray 2-3 coats with this mixture.

Is this a good way?

Trashcan Stan

I would go with the manufacturer's instructions Kevin. Although, I would probably put down a mid clear coat between the flake/candy. My experience has shown it works well. But it just may be my technique. I just find that mid coats of clear make the final result look "deeper" and pop more.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
If you are going to spray a silver basecoat first, I would do that, then make up a mix of interclear (SG-100), add your MF02 and spray until you get the sparkle you want.