DIY powered (forced air) supply for respirator

zaskarkid

just starting using auto clear coat, and my current 3m mask (2097 circular cartridges) still leaves my throat feeling funny. I paint model airplanes in my back yard.

going to buy a 3m versaflow full hood assembly, but I would like to build my own air supply system. this will allow me to put the air intake far away from the painting area, and not on my belt area like the expensive 3m systems.

the only thing is I need filter material for my air intake box. this intake box will have a ducted fan to force the air to my hood via 12' of 4" hvac duct.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe you can use some spray booth type filter materials?

Also, I believe the mask you are currently using (2097), is for particles.
You might want to try a 3M mask that has a pre-filter along with the charcoal filter. Though a air system is still the best solution, I've used these for quite sometime.
3M makes these, but I do not have a part number.

zaskarkid

2097 is for organic vapor but only at the "nuisance" level :sillyme: my ducted fan is going to need good gulp of air so I'm going to cut up 4 to 6 3m 6001 cartridges and glue them to my intake box. I'll use the p95 particulate filter on them as well. the parts are cheap. probably try a light shop vac line or medical supply for air line. talked to 3m tech and soft hood is suppose to work on some kind of positive pressure with air coming in 2/3 top vents, and exhaust down neck area? seems like it'll blow up like a blimp

Last edited:

fireboat

Several years ago I built my own supplied air system using the same motor that is in the Hobbyair, I think it is an Ametek and it does not draw air through the motor. I mounted it inside a plywood box with a pleated air filter on the intake. I have a bypass valve on the discharge side and I use 75-feet of the light blue corrugated medical tubing which is very cheap to buy. I wear a Scott full visor mask with it. That along with a hooded painters suit gives me total protection.

The air is cool and plentiful. I have the bypass valve open and I wear the mask loosely so there is no issue with too much pressure. With the long hose, I can place the unit far upwind. I have used it now for several years and it is great. I have about $100 in it as I got the mask free.

I still wear an organic vapor mask when mixing paint or cleaning my gun, but I enjoy the peace of mind that the supplied air system gives me when spraying. I would do it again but admittedly, it certainly is easier to buy a ready made unit instead.

Last edited:

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Very cool. I'll have to look into that option to. That would be the only time when I'd be using as well (when I'm in the booth and only on larger jobs)
I appreciate the input.