DIY Fender Flares

happileej

Just wondering what the best way would be to go about making my own fender flares out of fiberglass
vemp_0804_01_z+c6_corvette+fender_flare_installation.jpg
I want to fit them to a 1993 Mazda 121 Db

Thanks

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
That's a whole different animal to deal with. You might need to join boat forum or fiberglass type forum. YOu'll need to know how to create molds and how to work with fiberglass mattings, resins and other materials.

happileej

That's a whole different animal to deal with. You might need to join boat forum or fiberglass type forum. YOu'll need to know how to create molds and how to work with fiberglass mattings, resins and other materials.
Ok cool I'll do that, thanks heaps TAZ

LudicrousSpeed

I have a little experience in this area, and let me tell you this; this is a huge project!

First thing you need to do is make a plug. This is the part you make the mold from. The plug has to be shaped exactly how you want the part to look and be shaped. You will probably have to do this on the car or a spare 1/4 panel. Keep in mind that if the panel is not perfect, neither will your part be perfect.

Once the plug is complete, it needs to be sanded smooth and primed and blocked, primed and blocked. It needs to have a gloss finish, so you will have to buff the primer, and then you must coat the entire part with mold release, which is like wax. You need to have about three to five coats of this put on and removed, without touching any of the part with your fingers. If you touch it, the oils from your fingers will cause the fiberglass to stick to it.

Next part is to lay wet fiberglass mat over the entire part, and roll it to get ALL the air bubbles out. This is extremely critical on the first layer, and less critical with each consecutive layer. Once you have two or three layers of mat, allowing proper curing of the resin between layers, you need to brace the mold with wooden stringers to keep it from flexing and so it will remain true to the plug.After you make the stringer, you must put two more layers of mat to hold the stringer to the mold.

Once all this is complete, you have to pry this off of the plug. Now you will discover if you have any negative draft on your plug. To try and simplify this: think of your plug as a funnel, and the mold goes inside it. if all the angles do not face out, the mold cannot pull from the plug.

Now, hopefully you have a mold. Since you will not have the capability to spray gel coat, you will have to now "paint" the inside of the mold with primer and sand it to a shiny finish. The shinier the better, and start all over again with the wet layers of glass.

See why fiberglass parts are so expensive??

happileej

I have a little experience in this area, and let me tell you this; this is a huge project!

First thing you need to do is make a plug. This is the part you make the mold from. The plug has to be shaped exactly how you want the part to look and be shaped. You will probably have to do this on the car or a spare 1/4 panel. Keep in mind that if the panel is not perfect, neither will your part be perfect.

Once the plug is complete, it needs to be sanded smooth and primed and blocked, primed and blocked. It needs to have a gloss finish, so you will have to buff the primer, and then you must coat the entire part with mold release, which is like wax. You need to have about three to five coats of this put on and removed, without touching any of the part with your fingers. If you touch it, the oils from your fingers will cause the fiberglass to stick to it.

Next part is to lay wet fiberglass mat over the entire part, and roll it to get ALL the air bubbles out. This is extremely critical on the first layer, and less critical with each consecutive layer. Once you have two or three layers of mat, allowing proper curing of the resin between layers, you need to brace the mold with wooden stringers to keep it from flexing and so it will remain true to the plug.After you make the stringer, you must put two more layers of mat to hold the stringer to the mold.

Once all this is complete, you have to pry this off of the plug. Now you will discover if you have any negative draft on your plug. To try and simplify this: think of your plug as a funnel, and the mold goes inside it. if all the angles do not face out, the mold cannot pull from the plug.

Now, hopefully you have a mold. Since you will not have the capability to spray gel coat, you will have to now "paint" the inside of the mold with primer and sand it to a shiny finish. The shinier the better, and start all over again with the wet layers of glass.

See why fiberglass parts are so expensive??

Thank you so much for your help LUDI

LudicrousSpeed

I am assuming that he cannot find suitable parts, so he is required to make his own.

The plug can be made of several things. Depending on how thick it needs to be, you might want to make it from strips of plywood, placed on edge to get the approximate thickness that you want. Then you can lay wet fiberglass mat over it, and then finish it with bodyfiller. Sand smooth and shape it, then prime it using a good epoxy primer.

happileej

I am assuming that he cannot find suitable parts, so he is required to make his own.

The plug can be made of several things. Depending on how thick it needs to be, you might want to make it from strips of plywood, placed on edge to get the approximate thickness that you want. Then you can lay wet fiberglass mat over it, and then finish it with bodyfiller. Sand smooth and shape it, then prime it using a good epoxy primer.

Awsome!!! Thank again for helping me out.

chopolds

You can also make a plug out of foam. Easy to carve to shape, use a cheese grater, then sand, then bondo over to smooth it out. I've used foam sold in blocks, and also, on occasion, used the spray foam stuff from Home Depot.

thingsthatfly2

being that your mazda is steel. not a fiberglass car. making the flares out of steel would be best for ease of instalation and for a nice lasting job.
30854_417176992517_6062165_n.jpg
i made those flares out of 944 porshe rear quarter panels.