Disappointment

M

myfamiliacc

Well I understand why you went to pay-per-view, and it does make sence couse this is a great place to get and share ideas, but if you were allready a member, does this mean you have to re-apply? Couse I'm an old member, and would still like to share ideas

T

TAZ

myfamiliacc
All previous members do not have to subscribe.
You can login at anytime to see *all* the forums.

You can read more info on this here

M

mcaxl

In your post you said most painters wont teach you everything they know so that you cant in return take their job from them... but, let me say this, a good painter would never think like that, a good painter knows he never has to worry about his job being taken, because good painters are few and far between. but i would agree a painter thats not that gifted and or talented at what hes doing may take that approach when he(or she i guess) teaches the trade to someone else. i was a prepper for almost four years and learned from one of the best. because he taught me without holding back, i was able to help him more effectively, and now share painting duties at the shop i work at with him. he never took a cut in pay, or lost his job, but instead made his job easier, and makes more money as a result.

rex

I agree with that statement 100%,but that's in the real world.Now,take that same example,throw in a political environment like a dealership,throw in a know it all additude at a certain point,and then add in the fact that they get greedy and take shortcuts to make more money and you end up with that example.I see it your way but I've seen young kids that were helpers learn enough to be an apprentice painter go in and dazzle the higher up bosses with words and technical terms and make you look bad after you taught him.Had it happen a few times and am living with it right now.A good boss that knows the buisness knows better but there's alot of managers and/or higher up bosses that just happen to be friends of the family that gave them their job that have little knowlege of the industry.Our present case is the Service manager hired a kid that was a helper as a painter because he knew the family but only sprayed one type of paint.He came to the shop and for 5 months(yes,months)repainted everything he did at least once and most of the time 2-4 times.The new manager was a pencil pusher and had no clue so the kid played brownnose and sucked a few under the desk.Next thing you know me and the other painter with well over 50 years experience are full of [censored] and have a grudge.Yeah,I do,I had to teach the F****r how to paint a real easy paintline and thousands of dollars of waste was overlooked because he was a buddy-I redo one because the detail department sprays some of that N****r goo on the tires upwind and I screwed up and get spanked,he has the same thing happen and we're accused of sabotaging his work-give me a friggin break.Down here I see alot of young people that get into painting and after a few years of tutoring think they know everything,but if you watch them they constantly do stuff wrong with the remark "it doesn't matter".When I watch paint get mixed without stirring up the tints that screws everything that tint is used for from that point on,but it's OK,or you can walk in a booth and base 1/2 a car in 10 minutes with 3 coats and it's OK-bullsh!t,quality is gone for the sake of money because "I'm good" and can suck a mean one better than you.Ok,I'm ranting again so I quit.

LudicrousSpeed

Good points, Rex. Sorry to hear about crap like that.

Had something similar happen. I took a low level job at a reputable company, just to get my foot in the door. I had experience and college degrees, and was not afraid to work, with the idea of moving up later on.

Fast forward two years. I am in a higher, yet still low level job. They hire this kid that had someone that knew someone get him in. The job was never advertised in the paper. Nice kid, at first. Then we notice that he spends more time walking around sucking a** instead of working, and playing golf and drinking with the uppity ups. A job comes up in management. I apply, since i have the required experience and degrees, he has neither. I never even got interviewed, and he gets the job. Next week I put out resumes........

I hate the "Who ya knows" vs the "what ya knows"......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beat.gif

rex

LS,sorry it took so long.Sorry about your dilemma too.That crap just pisses me off so bad I've been seconds away from dragging the boss out back and beating his ass.As luck would have it,the higher ups fired him the other day and the whole shop's moral improved in 10 minutes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon_wave222.gif