Disappointment

G

guest01

Why did you guys have to sell out? Your how-to information used to be free, but now we have to pay to register!?! Why not just keep running a great site that people can reference when they need to. Did you really need the extra cash at the expense of loyal followers? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/foreheadslap.gif

T

TAZ

Extra cash???
I don't think you realize how much it cost to run the Flames Board/site!!!

Monthly feex12=$1800+bandwidth overusage charges (last three months have been +$50 each month.
Flames Board program license--$310 year.
Almost $200 a month.

T

TAZ

By the way, you mentioned "loyal followers", were you already a member??
Let me know,
Scott

nyntyproof

If you are getting so much good info on the site....What is 15 bucks for 6 months gonna hurt ???? I'm not even a painter and I think it's worth it..I'll be giving my 15 when my paint job is complete(let the cat out of the bag I guess) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beat.gif

T

TAZ

nyntyproof,
You are already a member ...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yay.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/good_bye.gif
Scott

rex

Personally I see it both ways,there's a ton of free info available on the web.That said,consider this:if you want to learn this stuff you have 2 options.One is find someone nice enough to teach you things for free like a buddy or this place.The other is go to a shop,work for minimum wages to be taught MOST of it(but just about every painter I know won't teach you everything so you take his job),and be treated as a grunt doing the nasty work and crap jobs to make him more money in return for the tutoring.This is the choice you don't want to take,believe me.There is also the option of taking a college course for good money and learning very little,most of the time people that go to a shop after this course needs deprogramming and have to be retaught the correct way.I've seen many horror stories in this scenario.To me,$15/6 months is the best deal you could have-you have multiple talents to tap into for info,you get straightfoward answers to a question without that person giving minimal info so you can't take their job(which usually causes you to screw up anyway and piss away a bunch of time and money),and you can find out something pretty much anytime you need it within reason.I agree it sucks to have to pay,but you have to look at the big picture,You're learning a craftsmanship not everyone has the ability to do and it's only for $30 a year from someone that spends thousands to provide the service.It'll cost you a hell of a lot more any other way.Don't mean to sound like a dick or be hard on you because I don't mean it that way at all so don't take offense to this post.Hope you join in,you just popped in at the wrong time.That's the story of my life-wrong(or right) place,wrong time.

Jim

Your right Rex,there is a ton of free info on the net however,the sites I've seen either give minimal or totally wrong info.Years ago I pd 600 for a gun repair course thru the mail,it was outdated at the time and I had a tough time getting questions answered.I did learn but it was only beacause of so many free jobs I did.For the money,you can't beat the deal of the flames board.If Scott wanted to "make money" off the board,it would be a hell of alot more than $30.To be honest,Since Scott's business has grown so much,I can't believe he even keeps this board open.For the record,I use PayPal and think it's the best way to pay for things,so many businesses take PayPal nowadays,it comes right out of my checking account just like writing a check but without the wait.I never ever had a problem with em. Whew..it's cold in here..think I'll turn the heat up! Maybe later,I'll iceskate on the pool! C'mon Scott you miss Indiana..ya right..... and you didn't even have lake effect snow!

rex

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/haha.gifYou reinforced my outlook on it though Buddy.I know this really isn't the place for it but what gun repair did you do,the general 'smithing?I started to look into doing one but realized all I really wanted to do was competition Colt 1911's so I studied them and relaized their simplicity.I don't have a mill or the barrel mounting tools but for what the pros charge I can't justify the expense.Let me know if you need info on these,I can do a hell of a reliable trigger job down to 2.5lbs pull,a so called reliability job and tuning and fit parts the way they should be other than barrels and sights.I actually prefer to build carry packages for self defense but I've built 2 almost from scratch for the IDPA and limited IPSC class.I can actually do a barrel to bullseye fit but it takes way too long by hand to do to justify it.Bigtime fun but it's a serious labor of love,only the likes of Wilson,Brown,Weigand,etc realized repairs were a losing proposition and diversified in the 80's to marketing parts and custom builds to actuallt make money.2 books,2 websites I used to contribute to and any questions you have and you'll know the old slabside inside out.This is another one of my ramblings isn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beat.gif

Jim

Hey Rex,About 15 yrs ago I decided i'd like to refinish(rebluing and stocks)Well,law says you gotta have an FFL,got that then a license to sell handguns in Indiana.Only did the hot water blueing and althougth it came out great,there was way too much time involved to be profitable.The salt tanks are the way to go!It was too much for me to invest at the time.So,I moved on to repair and scope installations.Guns are so easy to fix,it's unbelievable.The recording keeping and visits from the ATF wern't bad but the liability part of it got me scared,someone gets shot and they wanna sue Smith& Wesson or the gun dealer..Being young,I didn't wanna take that chance so I kept fixing buddies guns and selling a few here and there.I repaired a shotgun for an old dude,later he found out he had cancer and him and the gun went to the shed---the gun survived,he didn't. too bad,nice old dude.I felt kinda bad,Later lost intrest and never renewed my FFL.I do think the 1911 can be one of the most accurate semi-autos ever made,they make so much stuff for that gun!Brownells is loaded with accurizing parts.It's a great gun to deal with.It's amazing on how rough inside the cheaper guns are.Even with the old shotguns,the parts were so much thicker than todays crap.I still have my tool box of tools though and dought I'll ever pay to have a gun repaired.All in all,it was well worth the 600 dollars I pd back then Even though it was kinda outdated,guns are guns,and it got me pointed in the right direction.Now I decided to work with something safer like...... isocyinates,Jim

flamethrower

Jim, I doubt we will ever read that you went to the shed with isocyanates and the iso's survived but you didn't... Well, I guess we could read that, but hopefully it wouldn't be intentional. Wear that air supplied hood! There ain't enough of us midwesterners left to afford losing one! You can take the boy out of the midwest, but you can't take the midwest out of the boy!

FT

K

kevsLX

[ QUOTE ]
nyntyproof,
You are already a member ...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yay.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/good_bye.gif
Scott

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey Scott,
I login with my old username and apss but it still doesn't allow me permission to view the flames board, or pics in the various galleries.

rex

We had a meeting and booted you guys,sorry.Just kidding,Scott's been adding in all the old members as he's had time but he's been extremely buisy,as you can see from just looking at the forums it's been slow because everyone isn't in the new system yet.Hang in there guys,he'll get you back in.

T

TAZ

thanks Rex,
I emailed KevsLX, and I just did groovesdown. You should be all set. All others that are previous members, but want access now, just email me at previous_fb_member@customflamepainting.com

Only about 1000 more members to switch over...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bounce.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bounce.gif

K

kevsLX

Thanks Scott,
I didn't realize you were still in the process of moving members over to the new board, didn't mean to rush ya. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

T

TAZ

Hey no problem. I don't have to change them to the new board, just change the "user privileges"
Enjoy!
Thanks for participating in the Flames Board!

groovesdown

Scott, Rex, I received your emails and everything is groovy. Definetly not disappointed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yay.gif

Thanx,
Steve

rex

Glad to have you guys back!For those that happen to be in limbo just hang in there,Scott's working his ass off in the buisness and this place so please be patient,I'm sure 1000 people take quite a few hours to process.Here-here for Scott too,for being someone that surely can live on very little sleep to keep all this going /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yay.gif

Bornhard

Damn I've bought a custom painting/airbrush book for $15 plus and maybe only got 2-3 worthy tips out of it. Six months in here with all the info available for $15 doesn't seem that bad.

Hey Scott, you should have a year offer for slightly less than $30....good idea? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/think.gif
or a lifetime membership for $1,000,000.00!

I

issor

I just started to check this web site out,This is my opinion
15 dollars is a great price that you can get information that can save you hours or even days .Ive tried talking to some custom painter for some pointers,most wont share there information,I will try this web site out and hopefully it can save me some time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif