Die grinder or angle grinder

S

seedeucer

Which is best for grinding new metal on smaller parts like motorcycle tanks and fenders.

S

seedeucer

Just flattening out fender welds that have a hump in them.

rex

That's cool.Don't play with tank welds other than maybe knocking the top off one or two of the highest knobs.

S

seedeucer

I have a dremel to do all the fine detail work. I've just got a 10.5 inch rear fender with seam down the middle where the two pieces were welded together. It just doesn't have a nice flat smooth feel so I need to knock it down a tad. I didn't know if the die grinder would have the power to do it.

rex

Actually a quick level with a 7" and a dressup with a 5" works good and is more controllable,but a 3" 36 or 50 grit on the angle will do no prob if you pay attention.

M

Mac_Muz

I hope this is not to far off topic... I am not a bodyman of any kind, but doing my own car..

I bought a Miller Matic Mig welder and in learning that tool in time it occured to me to weld lefty, and smack the weld when still red hot to flatten it.. That did cut down on grinding.

Mac

T

Torquewrench

Definitately the angle grinder. A cut off wheel actually works great to knock down welds. And to get it all perfect having a Roloc set up with different grades of grit can get them down perfect without cutting into the base metal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/agree.gif

A straight grinder works better for cutting panels when you need a lot of power. You lose a lot of torque working through the 90 degree angle.