Crazing?

rex

Sorry,can you describe it a bit better?Did it crack (or craze),wrinkle? or is there actual craters (like the canyons)?What kind of paint are you using again(brand of enamel)?Sorry,my memory gets worse with age.If you waited a little too long between coats,it will usually wrinkle.I'm guessing it cratered,like monster fisheyes.Possibly a hoser coat over too many coats at one time?Some clears have a tendancy to fisheye or crater if you hose them on and the millage gets too thick.Could it be solvent pop?They start out as pimples and pop open and are caused by putting too much material on before the solvent can evaporate.

M

Mac_Muz

I have encountered a little problem. I was shooting clear enamel, and coating every 10 minutes to let the coats build up. The last coat was good, and I just shot a new coat. That made the shots make a road map like distorsion in the paint. It looks like canyons in an area about 3"x6".

Was that coat to wet? or did the reducer thin that spot to much? OR What? Mac

M

Mac_Muz

The spot wrinkled, with no craters. Being that motorcycle tanks are not flat I think I got too close. The light was making that place shine, and I did not see how close I was. The clear is acrilic enamel plasti-kote rattle can stuff... I know this is very crude. I don't expect professional results, but ok from 10 feet, or viewing by the blind which ever comes first.

I am using the "Shower" as a paint stall, as it is sleeting just now.... I have cats, and this place is small. So I cover the 3'x 4' cell that is the shower with plastic, and wet it down with water. I mist the air with a plant sprayer with more water to get the dust... Then turn on a small electric heater to dry out the stall sorta... Then place plastic, a card board box as a pedestal, and a covered lazy Susan, which the tank sits on.

Each coating of paint gets a few layers of clear. This is the first time this problem came up for me. The plasti-kote gloss white got clear, and the problem did not come up then.

At first the plasti-kote White Icing did not do this wrinkle either.. There were dry coats of clear over that before the problem came.

I sanded out the problem, but ruined the paint under the clear doing so. Then featherd and repainted. I sanded that and tried to feather blend it, but I can still see the meeting between coats. The White Icing is a metalic paint....if you ask me it looks like what most people would call champaine.

I have a Patriotic design, so most of the white gloss won't show, and perhaps only 1/2 of the white icing will show when the design is done.

I have a camera and made 1 pic so far.. If you would like to see this as it happens send your request to mac_muz15@hotmail.com
with "Rex" in the subject line, so I can know it is not junkmail.... Thanks for the reply........ Mac

rex

Hey Mac.That helped some.My first impression now is the wrinkle happened in the damaged area where you broke through?That would most likely be from the new coat crawling up under the feather edge.It won't necessarily do it on the first coat all the time,but the second will usually get it going for sure.It could still be the recoat time though.If you went back over the dry spot with a wet coat at the normal flash time,the dry spot would be drier and could have been past the recoat time.Rattlecans tend to dry quicker than normal,so instead of a 10 minute recoat for a wet coat the dry spot was the equivolent of say 20 minutes dry time and exceeded the recoat time.Did that make any sense?Don't feel bad about the cheapo rattlecan deal,if I weren't in the buisness and wanted to try it I'd probably be right there with you,especially after I found out the cost of materials and equipment to do it professionally.Unfortunately if the problem gets worse you'll have to start over,but remove what you've done to avoid the spot from seeping through later or cracking from being too thick.I hope this helps some because my experience in this matter is limited and I'm kind of winging it.I'll e-mail you tomarrow when my brain is awake,or send it over,my e-mail is here in the heading I think.Take care for now.

M

Mac_Muz

I am not able to find email addresses if they are here. This forum does not work like other forums, and I am pretty new to computers. I am not sure which computers or paint confuse me the most .... I have to fix this. I have way to much time and money in it now.... I have made a patch up and hope it works... I have fought dust, and reactions for days and days. As you know I am painting in the shower....LOL My wife seems to be generaly accepting this BS that I am creating....

I did start from clean bare steel. I filled in the factory dents where badges were screwed on "Yamaha". I used plasti-kote enamels for all primer and a gloss white base, plasti-kote white icing, and plasti-kote burnished silver. The clear is also plasti-kote.......3 colors done + clear, and 3 colors to go...... sapphire blue, and candy apple red, and the last is a kick and a half..... your gonna love this one...halogram paint.... The thing is it is Plasti-kote LAQUER!~ I find that I can spray a cereal box white icing, then 2 coats of the enamel clear, and let it dry for 2 days..... Just now I have sprayed 2 coats of the Laquer, and no reaction so far... 1 more coat of laquer, and 3 more of enamel clear on the cereal box, then I switch to "Testors" which the blue and reds are.
The blue is metalic, but a seemingly transparent metalic if the coats are light.

I have cardboard tests all over the place...

I made a 2 piece mask that takes care of 3 colors for the face of the statue of libery, which now is done less the spikes. All art work is original..... I would like to show you.....If you want that is...

most sanding has been done in a plastic fishing sled sitting on my bed, or in the kitchen sink lined with 2 towels... I have to get this done before my wife decides to do the big "D", and I find myself living in the woods..... This is an old barn made over to a appt. and it is too small for so many projects..... I kinda think it is funny... but I want a done day soon.... Thanks for the replies, and fer puttin up with an old fool....... Mac
mac_muz15@hotmail.com

[ 04-04-2002: Message edited by: Mac_Muz ]

rex

Hello again.I just got home believe it or not.Damn these long days are killing me.As soon as I leave the site I'll mail you,I noticed last nite after the post what you mean about e-mail adresses.I've noticed myself the wife has no sense of humor on these endeavors we get ourselves into,I just don't understand the problem
wink.gif