Crackle Paint - Advice

gulfcoastgasser

I am about to paint my truck and I thought I would do a special effect on part of it.
I want to paint a crackle finish or pattern on parts (not a krinkle or wrinkle but a open crackle).
Can some one tell me an easy way to achieve that affect?:think1:

Thanks GCG

rsresto

Are you talking about "Vreeble" made by Metalflake Co. ?? I've shot several things with it and some people call it "crackle".It's old school effects but very cool!!!

rsresto

What is it you are trying to convey here? We are talking about a special effects paint from the 70s era.

rsresto

Crackle or Correct name is Vreeble was used over lacquer mostly metal flake in the 70s.I first saw it around 1974.Did any of you guys see it before 1974? BTW you can't use Vreeble over anything but lacquer so most painters today will not ever get to use this product unless you find some lacquer and yes it's still around.If anyone wants a picture send me your email address. rsresto@embarqmail.com

Brian Dee

Super Moderator
special Effect

well that effect your looking at was know as a screw up years ago by using lac's, over single stage paints. The surface of the lac's would split apart and show the color of the surface of the under lying paint. These days you may want to consider the crystal effect. Probably a safer bet on the success of what you want achieve.

rsresto

What's Crystal effect and how is it done? What paint needed for this effect?The Vreeble paint is made by Metalflake Co. still today and only works over acrylic lacquer.I've seen it used on small panels but not a whole car painted with it.I admit it's not for everyone but neither is metalflake.Brian Dee would you share some info on a safer bet of success you mention earlier? Thanks for your post!!

Brian Dee

Super Moderator
crystal effect

this maybe the effect of what your looking for. You apply your base color then apply the liquid crystal. It's dries like the frost on a window, then in this case black was sprayed over top of the crysyals The wash off the the crystals.

Last edited:

rsresto

Thanks but that isn't the same look or effect Vreeble will produce.Metalflake Co also makes a clear Vreeble that looks like broken glass over a black base when applied.

funkago

hello im new here...great forum! :)....i was wondering how do i make the "crystal liquid" mixture to spray or swepe on the objects i want that effect on?? as far i ahve sitting and googgled all day long its kinda some salt or maybe sugar based formula ?? Any one who has some tip for it?

much appreciated! :)

Bayou_Eagle

If you are talkiong about the crystal effect mask you can go to www.lectrafinish.com for some nice tutorials and I think you can also buy the product there. It's not easy but with some patience it can be done and looks pretty neat.

Twinspur

Old post, but does anyone have an idea how this crackle effect was achieved?
IMG_1965_zps4eee16f9.jpg

Thanks!