Compressors

G

Gunner

Getting closer and closer to taking the plunge on my own equipment, but I need some info on compressors. Going by spraygunworld.com's recommendations, I can get away with a 20-30 gal. model since I'll be doing small pieces and using an HVLP gun. What I'm not clear on is the comparative benefits and disadvantages of oil-free vs. oiled, and single-stage vs. two-stage compressors. Anyone care to enlighten me?

D

DenB.

two stage is heavier duty i've got a single stage oil less and now wish i had the other 'specially when i'm blasting parts or just need more air to keep up with the work load. if you can afford the two stage go for it it will save alot of head aches and colorful languge in the garage
haha.gif

S

Scott M

Oil-free compressors tend to be louder. Oil bathed compressors will last longer under continuous running situations.

For individual pieces, sure you could use the smaller 4hp 30gal compressor with a HVLP as you can wait for the compressor to build-up pressure in between parts. However, for shooting multiple panels you will only get by with a 30 gal. tank if you get a Sharpe Platinum low output 7.5cfm (like shooting a hood and two fenders without a break).

If you get a gun that uses 10cfm to 13cfm and you want to shoot multiple panels, you will probably want to get a 60gal 220volt single stage compressor that is capable of 10cfm at 90psi ($400-$600). This is also the bare minimum compressor to get if you have a bead-blasting cabinet.

If you can spend $800+ then obviously a two-stage 80gal rig is the way to go.

rex

This is one of those areas bigger is better.You may be able to get by for now but you'll end up needing more later and you'll lose trying to sell the small one to get a bigger one.If oyu look around you can usually find a 2stage 80 gallon that will cover most of your needs for around 1K give or take.The extra money now is much saved later,HVLPs,sandblasters,air grinders and air buffers really eat up air.

G

Gunner

Forgive me if this is a dumb question:

Say I get a 30 gal, 5 hp compressor that provides about 5 CFM at 90 PSI now. Later on, could I get another and combine the two in parallel and end up with 10 CFM? I understand I couldn't get a boost in PSI. But, if I have two compressors both working at 90 PSI, I imagine there's some way to combine those two flows of air into a single supply.

Am I full of crap, or is there a way to do this? Seems two 30 gallon compressors at $200-300 a piece is cheaper than one huge one at $800.

Gunner