Compressor

S

status50

I have a 5HP 20gallon compressor, is it big enough to use my Devilbiss GTI Millennium gun on a car?

Stretch

I have a 6 HP 33 gal and it's worked fine for spraying motorcycle tanks the few times I've done it. Sorry that doesn't answer your question but it may work for reference?

Good Luck-Stretch

rex

I think the tank is too small to hold enough air.If it's got a good pump on it it may keep up but I kind of doubt it.The best way to find out is do a dry run.Pull your car in and paint it with an empty gun.Remember if you're spraying candy or pearl to walk the whole side of the car so do that in the dry run.If the compressor wont handle it it'll run constantly and you'll start losing pressure at the gun.

S

status50

Originally posted by rex:
I think the tank is too small to hold enough air.If it's got a good pump on it it may keep up but I kind of doubt it.The best way to find out is do a dry run.Pull your car in and paint it with an empty gun.Remember if you're spraying candy or pearl to walk the whole side of the car so do that in the dry run.If the compressor wont handle it it'll run constantly and you'll start losing pressure at the gun.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was going to paint it without the front fenders on, and just do them seperate.Is this not a good idea since it's a pearl?

rex

That depends where the pearl is.If it's mixed in the basecoat like most car factory colors it's not a big deal.If it's a 3 stage where the pearl is put over a base it's very likely you can end up with the fenders looking different.If you spray them the same time you spray the car you'll be fine,but if you do them at a different time the temp and humidity can cause the stuff to lay and dry differently causing the pearl effect to be different than the rest of the car.True pearls (3stage) and candies are pretty unforgiveing in this circumstance.

S

status50

Originally posted by rex:
That depends where the pearl is.If it's mixed in the basecoat like most car factory colors it's not a big deal.If it's a 3 stage where the pearl is put over a base it's very likely you can end up with the fenders looking different.If you spray them the same time you spray the car you'll be fine,but if you do them at a different time the temp and humidity can cause the stuff to lay and dry differently causing the pearl effect to be different than the rest of the car.True pearls (3stage) and candies are pretty unforgiveing in this circumstance.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The pearl is in the main color(orange).
First I'll spray the base color(white) then the Orange then the clear..So it wouldn't be a good idea to spray them seperate?

S

status50

Rex,

Thanks for the heads up.I will paint everything at once now.Should I install the front fenders and paint the car as a whole?

rex

That's a true 3 stage.I'm not saying you can't do it but there is the liklihood of a mismatch.If you can get the weather to cooperate for the 2 days and you spray them identically with temperature,coats,gun pressure and pass speed there's a good chance they'll be fine,but Murphy's Law loves paint.Document everything when you spray the first part so you have a record to duplicate it on the rest.