Color Sanding/Wet Sanding.

Brian Dee

Super Moderator
We all know that this is one of the last steps to that show winnig finish. Here's a tip. I see many people sanding in a circular motion across thier work. Don't do it. your just going to make the buffing process harder. Sand in straight lines, as this will make your buffing so much easier. As the buffer moves in a circular motion, it will buff out the scratches buy cutting directly across them at a 90 deg angle. But sanding in a cirvular motion just causes the buffer to follow the scratches in the same circular motion. Try it next time, you'll be suprised. As for the compound I use only wizards products. Starting off wth a wool pad,then switching to foam. you'll end up with a shine 3 feet deep, and be careful about using compounds that have fillers in them. If you dont buff out the micro scratches,they will just come back on you after you wash your bike or car. Hope this helps.
Brian.

Last edited:

Paint.That.Sh*t

Is that Wizards good stuff? I've been tempted to give it a try. I've always used 3m..Have you ever used 3m perfect-it 3000 line? how does it compare?

Brian Dee

Super Moderator
well imop there is no comparison. I use wizards. It's just awesome. All you need is either the Turbo cut or the Final cut,and two pads. One wool for the inital cut and one foam for the finish. It's pretty well impossible to blow through the clear coat with it to. As the cutting action is more of a chemical cut rather than an abrasive cut. But there is abrasive in it but is man made so it wears out throught the buffing process. With using Wizards you don't even need a swirl remover or a final glaze. I was told this to before using it, Yeah I thought right,until I used it. My first go with it was on a black tank. When completed there were no swirl or cob webbing in sight. It will definately get rid of the mcro scratches that seem to come back to haunt you. Thats due to there are no fillers in the stuff that fill them up. I've used pretty well all the 3M compounds and though they were killer until I tried Wizards. The 3M products have these fillers in them. So I ened up giving or throwing them away. System One is another great one to. Works on the same principal as the Wizards. Those are the only two that I will use. Here's a link to it.
Wizards Products11040%20Finish%20C&.jpg11044%20Turbo%20Cu&#.jpg

Last edited:

Brian Dee

Super Moderator
I've used it before with out issues. Instead of starting out with the wool cutting pad go directly into foam and you'll be just fine.

Vettra

Brian- In your post you stated that you just need the Turbo Cut (OR) the Finish Cut. Am I right thinking that you can just use either one and if so what is the difference between the two.

Brian Dee

Super Moderator
you can use either one on clear coat. But if you use turbo on fresh clear skip the wool pad and go right to a black,then a white foam pad. The turbo and a wool pad would be used on dead paint or fiberglass,then the final cut.

Brian Dee

Super Moderator
No problem ,dead paint just means that the paint has been kind of neglected,maybe oxidized, and in need of some care. The fiberglass means a boat or a truck canopy. (Gelcoat)

Last edited:

Maylar

Brian are the Wizzards products available through paint shops, or just online? I like to give the local paint guys as much business as I can.

I use Presta compounds and I've been satisfied, but I'm always looking for a better shine with less work. The 3M stuff works well but I absolutely hate the way it flings all over the place and once it dries the residue is near impossible to remove.

Brian Dee

Super Moderator
Dave I really don't know if it is available through retail outlets in the US I kind of doubt it.. Not up in Canada I do know that. In a previous post there is a link to where you can get it. One nice thing about it that the residue just hoses off with water if needed. I know we all have our own way of doing things, but for me the Wizard compounds give me what I'm looking for. Just though I'd share.

Last edited:

xtremekustomz

This is just me but I use Lake Country Pads (orange for compounding, white for polishing or gray to remove micro marring on fresh paint), 3m 05933 compound, and Menzerna Final Polish II. I've used the 3m 05937 but find the Menzerna is a finer polish and gives me better results. I usually use a porter cable 7427. Make sure you have all scratches and micro-marring completely polished out before applying glaze or wax otherwise you are just covering it all up. I just painted/color sanded/ and buffed this set:
frontfender.jpg

rearfender.jpg

tank.jpg

motorcycle.jpg

Brian Dee

Super Moderator
well from what I see here in these photos. You certainly know what your doing. Just goes to show that this product works for you. Nice nice job.
Brian.

der devil

cool good tip will try today!im in the uk how can i get hold of some wizards do you know the cost of it!i do a hell of a lot of flat polishing so your tip will dave me hrs thanks brian.

DEREK.

Brian Dee

Super Moderator
Hi Derek, I know Nate at Innate.com ships to the UK. So you may want to give him a try. www.innate,com The product itself is not expensive,but the shipping over the pond maybe the determining factor. If that doesn't work from the US contact me and I'll see what I can do for you from the Canuck side. How far are you from Heathrow.