cobalt blue question

B

Buster

I just finished stripping a set of tanks with cobalt blue flames. I,ve been wondering how the color was achieved and as I was strippinf them I noticed that there was a silver color under the blue "AAAHHH HAAAA" (I've gotten pretty good at painting solid or blended flames but never tried any bi or tri coats). What I was wondering was if some type of blending clear in the blue was needed for this affect of if the blue could simply be sprayed lightly to achieve the affect? P.S. this site is a godsend before I found this site it was a pure "Quess-hit-miss" scenario THANKS for this information sharing forum.

T

TAZ

To achieve a "candy" type effect, you must use a candy type of paint. Even though most of the candy paint is clear, it has a VERY strong colored pigment that gives if the extra depth.
I use the Metalflake brand and also the House of Colors candies.

You need to spray these over a base, such as a silver, a copper, a gold...These are the most common.

Once your spray the base, then the candy, you must clear it.

Motorcycle manufacturers use the method of spraying a base, then a urethane candy over the base. This way, they achieve the gloss without having to clearcoat the panel. The bad thing about this is, since they don't have a "true" clearcoat over the candy, it eventually wears out, so the base (most of the time silver) will start showing though.

It is best that you stick with a paint company that makes these candies.

Although you can make your own, they will not be as brilliant looking or have as much depth.

Check with your local paint store to see what brands and colors they have.