clearing between graphix

hoss

I put down a base coat, then i put a graphic right on top of that base, then i put a clearcoat down, next i put on my second graphic. Then it happend. I cleared over the whole thing and everywhere my second graphic overlapped my first graphic it scaled up.

What's going on? Do i need to lay a clear over the first base, then graphic, then clear then graphic, and then clear again?

The first base was fine under the clear, but the graphic right on top of the first base reacts w/ my second graphic that is over my clear. I'm waiting atleast 24hrs before i put on my second graphic to let the clear set.

any ideas why? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/think.gif

K

kevsLX

I would bet that when you sanded the first clear, you may have broke through or got too thin on the clear around the first graphic, and the base from the second graphic reactivated the exposed base from the first graphic.

T

TAZ

Hoss,
From what it sounds like, you did not clear over the first graphics, or you did not sand it down enough. You put the second graphics directly over the first.

hoss

base-graphic1-clear-graphic2-clear

everywhere graphic2 overlapped graphic1 it reacted.
[?]

TRADNDAVE

HOSS, CAN YOU GIVE A STEP BY STEP OF WHAT YOU DID AND ALSO TELL WHAT KIND OF PAINT /CLEAR YOU USED.
A QUICK GUESS IS (JUST PULLING FROM MY OWN F UPS)
?1 CONTAMINATED THINNER/REDUCER IN THE FIRST GRAPHIC
?2 DEPENDING WHAT MATERIAL YOU USED FOR THE FIRST GRAPHIC YOU MIGHT OF BEEN INSIDE OF THE RECOAT WINDOW
?3IF YOU USED BASECOAT FOR THE GRAPHIC AND THINNED IT WITH REACTIVE REDUCER ,THE REDUCER MIGHT OF GONE BAD.PPGs REACTIVE REDUCER (DRR) IS VERY BAD AROUND MOISTURE. I'V HAD STUFF LIKE THAT HAPPEN WHEN CAPS ARE LEFT OFF CANS FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME. OR IF ITS JUST OLD AND THE CAN ISN'T SEALED WELL.
?4 DID YOU USE LAC FOR YOUR FIRST GRAPHIC THEN CLEAR WITH URETHANE OR INTERCOAT CLEAR.

OTHER THAN THAT IT SEEMS LIKE YOU DID EVERYTHING CORRECT. LET ME KNOW .

THANKS DAVE

hoss

cross fire (base)paint from napa. and wagner clear(urethane).

I'm going to try to clear after the base, add a graphic, clear again, add 2nd graphic, and final clear.

It might just be the 1st graphic directly on the first base that is messing things up, but that doesn't make much sence.

hoss

after 10 years..... too thick of basecoat under clear and/or not giving base coat enough time to cure before i added clear. then didn't give clear enough time to cure before my next layers of base.

same problem as my true fire thread.