Clear Coat

S

smoknjoe

I have very little knowledge of painting technique but I am profoundly interested in custom painting. It is very difficult to find information on the net and I think this page is awesome. I'm thinking about attempting a custom paint job on my motorcycle. I think enamel is probably the easiest paint to apply and I have some experience with it. My question is, can I build up multiple layers of clear coat to get the effect of a very deep finish. I have seen this done with lacquer but I can't find mention of it done with enamel. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Thanks for any advice.
-Joe

T

TAZ

You can still get a very deep shine with enamel. If you want a show finish, the best thing you can do is to spray the clear on wet (You don't need to apply more clear then your supposed to), the wetsand and buff it. I personally recommend wetsanding with 1500-2000 grit. Make sure the clear is fully hardened before doing so. Normally this takes about 1-2 days. Really depends on the clear though.

You have to apply multiple coats of lacquer clear anyway since it is so thin. Todays enamels and urethanes are quite heavy.

Glad you enjoy the site!
Scott F