Clear Coat Recommendation Needed...

JT Airbrush

I've been using Nason clear for most of my jobs, but I'm not totally happy with it. I airbrush a lot of helmets and goalie masks, so I need a clear that will hold up to some impact, dry quickly, buff out nice and not cost too much. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
There seems to be a ton of clears out there. For a fast tack, fairly fast drying clear, I like using PPG ShopLine JC630 with either fast or medium hardener.
I used HOK UC35 for years, but at $137 a gallon my cost, I can't really afford to use it all the time.
It was $93 a gallon when I opened my business in 2002.

chopolds

Yeah, Nason is the cheaper line of Dupont's stuff. Good for quicky car lot paint jobs. It never is a bad idea to use quality paint. I use HOK mostly (137$ a gallon is relatively cheap for good clear!), but also use Dupont's Chromaclear over Dupont basecoat. You can get different activators for faster dry time. It buffs and keeps it's gloss much longer than Nason! Doesn't break down after a year or 2, either, like cheap clears.

txwayno

I use the Shopline JC630 as well just trying to save a few bucks. But if you got the cash, HOK UC-35 to me is by far a superior product. Dries faster, builds nice (for covering flakes and vinyls) and no issues removing tape lines. For a rookie like me it makes a big difference that's why I'm going back to it.

IMAGE CONTROL

Sikkens produces a very reliable clear coat (auto clear 3). I use their XP hardener for projects I sand & polish. Great repairability, durability.