Clear coat peeling need advice.

Kyle9875

Greetings all,
To preface this I am a noob and this is my first auto/custom painting attempt.
Now, I am currently in the process of painting my motorcycle and have encountered an issue with the clear coat peeling up when I was taping off my graphics. My process has been as follows:

- Sand down existing paint, perform repairs and smooth to 220
-Shoot 3 coats of high build primer.
- Let parts dry for ~1 week, then smooth with 400.
- Shoot 3 coats of base. (metallic black)
- Wait about and hour or so and shoot 2 coats of clear.

I live in New England and it's currently the winter so temperature has been the most difficult part of this adventure. My current solution is to use a couple space heaters to heat my "booth" to about 80 degrees, then pull the heaters and shoot. Wait for fumes to be vented and re-introduce heaters.

The idea was to get the base cleared, wet sand with 600. Then tape my graphics, spray, and re-clear.

Here's where it all went south. I wasn't pleased with a shape I had taped so I was going to re-do it. Upon removing the tape it took the clear with it. I did a little research and I thought maybe I was just being to aggressive with my removal. However, even when I was being extremely cautious, the tape would still sometimes take the clear with it.

Few points:
- The piece had been cleared about 5 days prior.
- I noticed a slight solvent odor where the clear was peeled.
- The tape is the orange Custom Creative curve tape. It's advertised as being for this purpose so I don't think that's the problem.
- The clear is 5 star glamour, base is Trinity.

I apologize for being so verbose. However, I didn't want to leave out my potential F up.

Thanks in advance!