clear coat getting slightly dull

xzibit.candy

Hi guys I have a slight problem, after clear coating and polishing the car looked perfect, a mirror finish but after a month when I look closely the clear seems to be looking slightly dull and has a very light texture on it. Any ideas as to y??? I am in pursuit of the ultimate gloss on a paintjob.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like it basically just needs to be rebuffed and polished.
Do that and you should be fine.

xzibit.candy

Thanks brother, exactly what I'm going to do, would love to know what was the cause of it in the 1st place though, because it was perfect for the 1st month or so. I am also afraid of cutting through now that its going to be cut for the 2nd time

BeoBob

My guess would be pounding on the clear and not letting it flash enough trapped solvents. These solvents eventually work themselves out and leave tiny imperfections in the shine.\

Probably don't need to cut it down again. Try just buffing a small area and see how it goes.

chopolds

Could be you polished it too soon. I've had "dieback" because the clear was not fully cured when polished. Could be you didn't really didn't get all the "scratches" from the sanding operation out when buffing the first time. Or, you didn't get all the 1000 grit scratches out when doing the 1500 grit sanding. Then the compound masked the problem. I've had this problem with the modern compounds, they seem to fill and create and artificial shine that doesn't last. I even asked advice on which compounds did not do this, on this forum.
If the paint has acquired a texture, as you say, it probably wasn't cured enough, when you sanded and buffed, and kept shrinking afterwards. Since I do mostly cars, long term projects, I can afford (time-wise) to wait a month before sanding and buffing, and I don't have this problem. But it DOES make sanding and buffing a much harder job.

xzibit.candy

Yes you do make a lot of sense, I also have the feeling of a lack of drying times before sanding it, my problem though is that customers aren't willing to wait an extra month lol. Any ideas????? Maybe to get the clear dry quicker in some way without compromising the quality of the job......

chopolds

That I can't help with, but hopefully the guys with regular body shop experience can help, or the guys that just do graphics/motorcycle stuff. I'd say some sort of 'baking' the finish is in order.