Chemical/Acid Dipping (motorcycle tank)

mobleydrew

I THINK this topic would go here.
I have a motorcycle tank that I POR15 lined 10 years ago. Shortly thereafter, I had some welding work done on the tank, which caught the pour in liner to catch on fire. I have started to get a little rust buildup in those areas bad enough that particles are clogging up the little in-line fuel filter. I want to reline the tank, but have to strip out the old liner to do so.
I bought the HD POR15 kit, and the quart of stripper that came with it is worthless. I have used a gallon of Aircraft Stripper (GEL) and a gallon of some other popular retail brand stripper (also GEL), with mediocre results. Lastly, I have let a gallon of MEK just sit in tank for days. Nuttin.
I need something harsher that will work. Can a normal person, off the street, purchase the chemicals that are used by people in the automotive industry to dip or pour into the tank? I know this sort of stuff is frowned upon by the EPA, so there might be certain restrictions that would not allow me to purchase it.
At this point, I am not concerned about the paint. With all of these strippers I have used to far, it has been impossible to keep it off the paint, so I will repaint later.
Recommendations of pour in chemicals/acids?

Anyone know of places that dip in the Chicago/Milwaukee area?

Thank you

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know of any.
Anytime a customer has a tank that needs the sealant stripped and redone, I send it to a local radiator shop.

mobleydrew

Thanks TAZ. Rad shops in my area wont touch it. I did some research on epoxies. If it fill the tank with hot water (as hot as it will come out of faucet) and let it sit for a while, and do this a couple of times, it will soften the epoxy. While softened, pour in NON-Gel MethChlor based stripper and just let sit. My problem has been, while it has been cold outside, pour in gel and leave for a day. Being that is is cold, the gel gets firmer, and actually looses a lot of its ability to strip after the first hour or so. I think I will try one more time, and wait until July/August to try again, so I can do this outside.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
While reading your post, I was also thinking just to wait until it got warmer.

The only other thing I can think of is call Tommy's radiator in St Pete and see how much they will charge you to do it.
Anytime a customer has a problem, I send them to Tommy's.
You could ship it to them and have them do it.
The average seems to be about $150-$200 to do this

Twinspur

I believe POR15 makes a tank stripper. They also make the stuff to line tanks. Worth a shot for anyone else looking to strip a tank. Other option is to cut the tank in half and media blast it out, then re-weld it. But you would be better off buying a new tank if you are not looking to customize it.

mobleydrew

Dont waste your money on the HD (Heavy Duty) POR15 tank liner kit. Just get their normal tank liner the kit. I have never had a bad experience with the liner they sell. With the HD kit, it includes a quart of GEL stripper. It is worthless. Did virtually nothing to remove the old POR liner. I have used a gallon of Aircraft stripper, and a gallon of the other leading brand stuff from Home Depot with mediocre results. I think my problem is using the GEL stuff, which loses its effectiveness in the first 15 minutes and then it just gums up. I need to use a liquid and let it just sit for a long period of time. (yes, removing the POR liner that is currently in there. Had welding work done and liner caught on fire. Having to remove the old liner so that I can reline it). Replacement tank for this particular motorcycle is hard to find, so dont want to open it up just as yet. Tank on bike currently is from an Asian market bike of a later year model.