Cheaper seperators/filters/driers... Which one should i get??

Hey forum!

I'm new to the custom and small scale painting scene, but not new to painting. I've been spoiled in the past working in shops that provided all the latest and greatest tools, paint booths, filter systems, blah blah blah, but since i'm no longer doing it professionally, I'd like to start a setup in my garage.

I've got a decent sized compressor, but my question is, what's the best bang for my buck in regards to filter/driers under $250? I've noticed two different styles in this range with the single and dual stage systems. Is there a distinct advantage to each? These are two that I've been thinking about. Maybe someone has tried one or both of them, or has an even better suggestion?

CamAir/Devilbiss 2 Stage

CamAir/Devilbiss QC3

All opinions appreciated :bigokay:. Thanx in advance!!

Miles

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome!

Those look nice. I personally use the finishline air control unit. Probably not as good as the one's you show in the links, but I haven't had any issues with water or fish eyes

zaskarkid

I was looking for one as well for painting rc airplanes/boats. I only have a 8 gallon compressor. will the finishline unit still be effective with mini spray guns?

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Sure, I don't see why not. The unit is really to use for the airlines. This will catch moisture and oil before it goes through your tools and guns.
You can also use a 'filter ball' that attaches to your gun for extra insurance.

zaskarkid

my compressor is right next to me. I'll probably have a 25ft line (it's only length I have) b/n compressor and filter and then a 6ft line from the filter to my gun. you think much water can be created with a 6ft line? I paint in good dry warm 80f weather. shooting catalyzed auto clear coat. had problems with fisheye when I went to bigger spray gun - 1.5mm needle.

tomsteve

i have the devilbiss finishline and this setup:
001.jpgits 3/4" copper and cost about $30 to build. been workin great. before shooting any paint i drain the tank, lines and filter, then leave the drain on the tank cracked open just enough to drain any moisture buildup while i'm painting. havent had a moisture problem yet.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not for sure if this will help, but put a line that drops down right before the filter/separator. Put a valve on it so you can drain that line. Also don't forget to put on one of the filter balls.

zaskarkid

I'll mount mine high as well. the finishline unit looks big and heavy duty. seems like a bargain for what you get compared to everything else. have you guys needed to replace the micron filter in it? or can you wash and blow it out with a computer air can?

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
i have the devilbiss finishline and this setup:
View attachment 1080its 3/4" copper and cost about $30 to build. been workin great. before shooting any paint i drain the tank, lines and filter, then leave the drain on the tank cracked open just enough to drain any moisture buildup while i'm painting. havent had a moisture problem yet.

Quite setup there Tom
:bigokay:

As far as the finishline unit...haven't touched them since new. I just drain them once a week.
Guess I should check the insides?! lol

tomsteve

Quite setup there Tom
:bigokay:

As far as the finishline unit...haven't touched them since new. I just drain them once a week.
Guess I should check the insides?! lol

now that ya mention it, i think i should,too!

still gotta break down and put a hydraulic hose off the compressor to the copper to reduce vibration. sure would hate to have a solder joint fail in the middle of a paint job.

zaskarkid

I spoke to devilbiss and they wanted 25ft min before hooking up finishline. suppose to allow air to cool down. been running mine now and so far so good. also got their dessicant snake to connect before my gun. I'd use them more but clear coat is kicking my butt