Cellulose paint problems

ChrisR

I have just completed a cellulose black finish on a guitar, I am a fairly experienced paint sprayer and usually don't have any serious problems. The finish started of with a few coats of sanding sealer which were block sanded back perfectly flat, then a few coats of black which again was block sanded back to an even matte finish, then three coats of clear lacquer (cellulose) it was then left to dry for a week. I then sanded it back with 1500 wet and dry, followed by 2000 and finished of with a cutting compound and the whole thing looks like a mirror...Prefect...After a few days I take another look and some areas appear to have what looks like a VERY fine dust covering, I try to polish this out but to no avail and on closer inspection with a magnifying glass it appears that the "dust" is between the black and the clear coat!....Any ideas???

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not for sure what that could be, but it sounds like really what you need to do is resand it with like 1000 grit, then add a couple more coats of black then reclear