Candy tape job question

timberjkd

Ok guys I'm trying to fig out the best approach to removing tape from a candy project. I have 3 coats of silver base down with 2 coats of sg100 mid clear. Plan on scuffing with 800 or 1000 tomorrow to lay down some fine lines and mask off for some airbrushing. After that it will all be candied green except for the two fi e lines. How and when should I peel the tape off after spraying candy? I know tech sheet says clear before candy dries. Any advice? I also am concerned about tape residue and removing that if need be. I know I need to peel the tape between the candy and clear... motorcycle project btw.
Thanks all!

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
You should be able to peel within about 10 minutes or so if you are using a basecoat type candy. If you are using a urethane candy, you will probably need to wait so you don't get finger prints in the candy.
Peel toward the rest of the stripe and not 'upwards' so the tape is actually cutting through the edge. Hope that makes sense

timberjkd

You should be able to peel within about 10 minutes or so if you are using a basecoat type candy. If you are using a urethane candy, you will probably need to wait so you don't get finger prints in the candy.
Peel toward the rest of the stripe and not 'upwards' so the tape is actually cutting through the edge. Hope that makes sense
Thanks. And totally makes sense.

timberjkd

So this turned out pretty good but I had a run in the kandy. This is my plan to fix. Pls tell me if you see any problems...
1. Wet Sand whole fender with 800.
2. Tape off up to fine black line on side with run and mask rest of fender.
3. Re base with Orion silver.
4. Spray 4 more coats of uk09 over base.
5. Peel tape after 30 min.
6. Re clear whole fender.
Note. Clear was finished and will have been dry for 24 hours before starting the above.
Any potential disasters? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20191221_172636.jpg
    20191221_172636.jpg
    689.2 KB · Views: 9

timberjkd

Btw there are 3 coats of sg100 under that kandy...would I be able to just sand down that area back to the sg100 so the base would shine through or just sand the run and scuff that whole stripe area and re base then lay the kandy and clear again? Worried about the base wrinkling the that 1 day old clear.Was trying to finish this this week...