Candy paint masking issues

xzibit.candy

Hi guys I have a Toyota corolla ke70, have decided to spray this car a candy gold, I am very familiar with candies as I have done quite a few jobs that turned out really well, now my issue is that I have never done a candy job where I sprayed the inside frames under hood and trunk on a separate day, I always sprayed it on the same day all at once. Now on this car I would like to do it separately BUT I have noticed that when you mask and area and paint candy it's all good up until we pull the masking out then at the edge the very thin line of the base silver is visible it's very thin but I'm building this car for shows and I want it perfect, any ideas????? #sorry for the long TEXT

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
That's basically the only way I know of.
Spray the exterior, then go back and do the jams. I guess you have to just make sure you are on the very edge or corner.

chopolds

OK, after MANY years of doing Candies, and trying various methods, I've found this to work best for me:
After the entire car body is sanded and ready for paint, prep and shoot the jambs and edges in the base color. Now shoot the entire body. When dry, back tape the body off. The edges of the jambs, trunk, hood, etc, should have some of the candy color blown into them. Scuff the jambs, lightly, then blend in the color carefully. You don't have to go all the way out to the very edge of the body, because the candy color is already there. But you DO have to carefully fog the color in from that point. You don't get any edge of the candy, but you'll have to do a clearcoat blend all the way out to the backtaped edge. I hope this explains it properly. Hard to describe.