Candy Apple red flame job DONE!

gtc73

Well my project changed multiple times, right up until I started "fine line taping", which I quickly learned required a WHOLE LOT more practice then I have given it. After Basing my tins, I decided it was time to FIRE AWAY. So I decided to free hand the flames in bright metalic silver before the candy apple red layer, here's some photos how the project morphed and ended up;

silver flames tank.jpgcandy flames tank.jpgspolier silver flames.jpgspoiler in candy.jpg

scuffed the old finish with gray scotch birte pad, 3 coats Kustom Shop tripple Black, free hand bright metalic silver flames, 3 coats BLOOD RED candy, 3 coats final clear.....finish is perfect, no buffing needed !!! yes, I said NO BUFFING NEEDED, as there is NO orange peel....maybe a spec of dust or 2 but other than that....I LOVE IT! had a blast doing it....

Last edited:

stahle

right on man good job i will post pics of mine when its done. if you remember you helped answer some of my questions. im doin the opposite of you black flames over red. take care man

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
great job!!! Like the smaller flames. Definitely makes it look nice a busy!!!!

gtc73

cool!, lookin forward to seeing the oppisite of mine....
Kind of wish I had taken more time filling out the body of the flames more, but hey!, there always next winter :)

right on man good job i will post pics of mine when its done. if you remember you helped answer some of my questions. im doin the opposite of you black flames over red. take care man

Blaster

Awesome job!! just wondering if you did the flames and then sprayed the entire tank even the black part with the candy red or if you sprayed it only over the flames. I'm doing the same exact thing on my pickup and I had a pretty big lip at the edge of the flames because it was like six coats of paint on the flame part.

gtc73

no taping....
layed down the black base, then air brushed the flames in brilliant metalic silver, then the candy apple red over everything.....the cool thing about the candy, is it's like layers of clear over the base which almost makes it look these no need to even spray the clear....I mean it just adds to the depth.
Then spray the clear over the everything.....

I can't even believe I am already considering HOT ROD FLATZ....maybe next year....I want to stretch my tank this winter... :)

Awesome job!! just wondering if you did the flames and then sprayed the entire tank even the black part with the candy red or if you sprayed it only over the flames. I'm doing the same exact thing on my pickup and I had a pretty big lip at the edge of the flames because it was like six coats of paint on the flame part.

gtc73

Hey man? how'd your project come out....love to see the opposite of mine!!!!