Can this be saved?

Acesanugal

Hey everyone,

I recently was very much screwed over and out of $800.00 by a man and his 'business' who promised me a flawless paintjob. How could I trust someone who said I could have a flawless color-change paint job for only $800? Simple...my friend who recommended me to him got his car painted by this same guy and it was flawless. I have also seen his portfolio, and he's very good. However, for whatever reason, he decided to give me (Are you sitting down?) this... http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r247/Acesanugal/P1010073.jpg

Scary, huh? For two weeks, he procrastinated and he lied to me about everything...from sanding the car down to doing the basic dent repair he assured me was already done.. The car was never sprayed in a booth, even with all the talk about how the shop they were going to use 45 minutes away where they had driven the car was full up, so they rented another one closer by for the next morning. Funny how my odometer reading was identical to what it was when I left the car with them, eh? He painted the car in one morning, outside, under a tree in his driveway. It was hot and humid out with a light breeze.

The car was not more than lightly hand sanded and you can see the sanding marks thru the paint. The car was not washed or wiped down prior to spraying the paint, and it's very obvious. The 'color change' (i.e. the door jams and the hatch jams only at my request) was not done properly, and as you can see from the pictures on my photobucket..the whole job was just very very poor.

Now, I'm not stupid and I do know my way around basic painting techniques and the consequences of poor prep work and/or poor technique.. And this paint just looks all sorts of messed up. Considering the work he's very capable of doing, he did this to me and my car on purpose. Most likely because he thought I was just another silly little young fag who wouldn't know or do anything about it. Wrong. You don't mess with me, and you DON'T mess with my car. I am suing him for the cost, the court fees and most likely damages to my interior and my $1,400 exhaust system. There is overspray EVERYWHERE!

My question is, what can I do to possible make the car look even slightly better? It seems though, that in most places he didn't use enough paint...so of course it is very thin, which is why you can see red thru it. I have a bad feeling that if I remotely even thought about blocking it or buffing it that it would just wear right through the paint back to the red and it'd look even worse.

I guess all I'm looking for is a few solid responses to whether or not the finish can be made slightly better...more glossy...until I can fix it myself like I should have just done in the first place. Let's get something completely clear, I've done far better work with spray paint, a pack of sand paper and an orbital buffer.

Description of the finish: Still hardening, very rough like sand paper (From too much flake in the clear and no post-metallic coats of pure clear), tiger striped, too thick in some places and too thin in others. Debris in the paint from being done outside.

Link to photobucket, password is naonly
http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r247/Acesanugal/

Discuss.

flamepain

hope you never gave him any money.he should be arrested for vandalism.you have to strip the car back to the old finish.why? because if he didnt prep it properly it will haunt you as long as you own the car.on the other hand i would consider $800.00 as a small down payment on a proper body and paint.remember ---if it sounds to good to be true it probably is.cyas

Acesanugal

hope you never gave him any money.he should be arrested for vandalism.you have to strip the car back to the old finish.why? because if he didnt prep it properly it will haunt you as long as you own the car.on the other hand i would consider $800.00 as a small down payment on a proper body and paint.remember ---if it sounds to good to be true it probably is.cyas

Yeah he has my money, and I want it back. This is why I'm suing him...he didn't do anything right and he ruined the chance of even a remotely easy fix.

T

TAZ

If that $800 included the materials, he probably only made $100-$200 to do the job, or unless he used cheap materials.

Doesn't sound like you'll be able to buff it.

Expect around $1500-$2500 to do a 1/2way decent job. More for a flawless job.
It'll cost more now since they'll have to strip it. You might be able to take it to a Maaco or an Econo and get a job that would be cheaper and definately better than what that guy did to your car. I don't know if anyone would touch it now with all the overspray everywhere.

Good luck to you though!

El-cheapo

This is a good example of why you can't get flawless and cheap! out of the same car, unless you do it yourself.:sillyme:
For future reference if someone talks up a storm on how good it will be, then they don't want hardly any $$.. walk away:moon: