Can someone give me a walkthrough to paint ghost flames on my bike?

johndalecalhoun

I want to paint my bike a GM color, Root Beer, with ghostflames. My cousin has painted a few of his own vehicles and they look good. He knows about sanding, primer, wet sanding and then painting but i want to put ghost flames on my bike could someone walk me through the process of doing so after i get the bike primered. i would really appreciate it. thanks.

sure

first thing first. Since you have never done this before do a test panel and save yourself time and $ in the long run. I will explain how to do a test panel at the bottom.
DO NOT skimp on what materails you use. If you use du pont primer use the whole system(primer/base/clear) DO NOT mix systems, this can get ugly fast.
with that being said ets move on shall we.

1. once parts are prepped for part blow them off well and clean with wax and grease remover and blow tack.

2. seal all parts to give them an even tone and to fill any minute scratches from sanding(if you have gone all the way to wet sanding with the 6oo grit you can skip this step)please allow manufactured spec flash time for all products.

3. now you can spray your base coat. use any many coats as it takes to gain complete coverage.(usually 3)once desired coverage is gain let dry for about an hour before masking for flames.the dry time is all dependant on the temp.

4. time to do the fun stuff.. laying out the flames. grab your roll of 1/8 fine line tape(make sure you get good tape cuz bad tape will lift when you do you tight turns) lay out desired flame design with the fine line and then mask of the areas you DO NOT want to paint. use 2 in or 1 in and 1/2 tape for this. you will need to trim some spots use a fresh razor blade or exacto knife for this be sure not to use too much pressure cuz you can go to deep and cut the base coat ruining your whole job.

5.acheiving the ghost effect. you will want t use a pearl(with rootbeer I would use a gold or copper depending on the hue of root beer you are using).
the pearl will need to be suspended in a binder. their are many different way to apply the pearl coat you could spray the whole flame area or go only around the outer edge ith an airbrush.9this is something you can expeirment with on you rtest panel)let dry

6.unmask flames and bask in the glory of your sweet a$$ paint job but don't start drinkin' yet you sill gotta clear the parts.

7. clear the parts then let sit for recomended cure times.this would be the time to start drinking and high fivin' your bros.

8. to acheive a show finish wet sand all parts to remove orange peal and the line that you can feeel left by the paint build of from the flames.

now the test panel. use step 1 thru 3 then lay out flames ,seperate into 4 quadrants.spray all quads with 1 coat of pearl,let dry. then cover section1 and spray another coat,then cover section 2(do not unmask section1)then spray another coat,then cover secton 3 again do not unmask 1 or 2. let dry and unmask all. take apnel out side and see what you like.you may want more so go ahead and add another coat to section4 let dry take outside in the sun and check it out.just keep track of how many coats you used to get desired look.

hope this help and god luck.

Ultra Al

Great advice SURE. I might put an inner coat clear between the base coat and the ghost flame just for insurance. The test panel advice is right on, it is way easy to use too much pearl. Steve Vandemon has a good DVD on ghost flames where he also goes into pouncing the pattern to get the same on each side of the tanks. AL