Bulletproof Clearing

hambiskit

I found this out by accident but it works great, use the first coat of clear with HOK clear mixed with PPG's Omni hardener at 2-1-1 mix, and let dry- wet sand and top with two coats of Omni clear per mixing instructions.
The HOK clear will get so hard that you almost can't cut it with 600 grit paper & the Omni will allow you to burn in a perfect shine.
Rock chips are eliminated....works great!

crashfixer

That is interesting indeed but I have to ask,if the clear is so hard,wouldnt that make it brittle as well? I would also be curious as to what it would look like several years down the road.

T

TAZ

I would tend to agree with crashfixer. I can understand where you are coming from thinking a harder clear would be better clear...but if the clear gets too hard, then any little pebble or rock that hits the paint (especially if it's on a motorcycle part) will 'shock' the paint and chip it even easier. You really want a 'flexible' clear in which when something hits it, it 'gives'
It's a great 'idea' to make it dry very fast and hard, but the longevity of it my suffer.

Probably would work great for single panel spot jobs on cars though!!!
:bigokay:

Just my 2 cents worth.

:cheers:

hambiskit

well- so far so good, I have them out there over 2 years old and no chipping or cracking as of yet.
They haven't yellowed either; and I don't do spot repairs on flat panels.

T

TAZ

I think 2 years is a pretty dang good test

:cheers:

Mulepick

I'll try it, Ham. Shooting consistent good clear w/minimal color sanding/buffing is my goal. HOK really is much harder than other clears I've used and takes forever to take down flat. I could use a shortcut, tks.

Bob