Buffing question

jdrich48

OK guys, I just finished my first ever attempt at painting with anything other than a spray can. I'm very happy with the results.
I've done pretty much all the buffing on this fender, their are still a few spots I need to go over that I can still see some fine sanding marks.
My question is how do you know if you blow thru the clear when buffing? I've seen it mentioned here several times, but don't know how to tell.
It's looking real good right now, but as I said I still have a few spots that need more attention.

Below are a couple not so good pics of my first work. The one outside is before buffing, the other one is after.

Attachments

• 100_1815.jpg
    100_1815.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 100_1820.jpg
    100_1820.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 108

flamepain

if you burn through you will see a slightly dull spot.you cant really miss it when it happens.you will probably be in denial for a few minutes before the awful truth sinks in .lol.how many coats of clear did you put on?.roughly one coat comes off every time you sand and buff so you should put on at least three to four coats.if your clear ends up to thin you may lose the uv protection that clear coat provides.good luck.cyas

jdrich48

Thanks Flamepain. I applied 3 coats of clear. I think I'll apply 4 on the rear fender and tank. I'll be painting the rear fender tomorrow.
This painting thing is fun.
I'll have to hang around here and learn some more. So when I swap my tins out on the bike, I may be able to try something fancier on the tins I take off.
Thanks for all your help.
Richard