BUFFER

J

JAMMINJ

JUST THOUGHT I WOULD TELL EVERYONE WHO NEEDS A GOOD BUFFER ABOUT A DEAL I FOUND. I RECENTLY PICKED UP A PORTERCABLE VARIABLE SPEED BUFFER FOR $150.00 AT HOME DEPOT. THIS BUFFER HAS A SPEED DIAL AND VARIABLE SPEED TRIGGER. THIS SAME BUFFER SELLS OTHER PLACES FOR ABOUT $200 SO IF YOU NEED A BUFFER CHECK OUT HOME DEPOT.

ezrider

I have used porter cable buffers wiyh a previous employer, they are toys . when you put a little pressure on them they slow right down. they are not for professional use

J

JAMMINJ

THAT IS BAD NEWS. I ALWAYS THOUGHT OF PORTER CABLE AS A VERY HIGH QUALITY TOOL. IT IS MADE IN GERMANY AND APPEARS TO BE HIGH QUALITY. THIS BUFFER IS SUPPOSED TO BE COMPUTER SPEED CONTROLLED AND SUPPOSED TO MAINTAIN SPEED UNDER LOAD. I HAVE NOT USED IT YET BUT I AM PAINTING A BMW THIS WEEKEND SO I'LL GET A CHANCE TO USE IT. IT HAS A 90 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE. I'LL LET YOU KNOW WHAT I THINK OF IT.

G

guest01

Yeah ,I'd like to know how you like it too and how much it weighs! I picked up a Dewalt from Harbor Freight last year for $150 myself, but they've gone up to $175 since. I found a buffer( trying to remeber which brand now) for around $150 but it weighed a ton and I decided against it. I think I heard the same thing about this one, it bogged down! Might have been a Porter Cable can't remember!

J

JAMMINJ

I HOPE TO FINALLY GET A CHANCE TO USE IT THIS WEEKEND, SO I'LL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT WORKS. IT IS ACTUALLY PRETTY LIGHT, SO THAT I,M NOT WORRIED ABOUT.
IF YOU CLICK HERE YOU CAN GO TO PORTER-CABLES SITE AND LOOK AT THE MODEL HOME DEPOT SELLS.
PORTER CABLE BUFFER

G

guest01

Man that looks pretty sweet. My Dewalt didn't come with the hook and loop for buffing. The last backing pad I bought was a 3M and I paid around $30 just for that. Like I said let us know how you like it. Thanks for the tip.

J

JAMMINJ

I THOUGHT THAT I WOULD ADD THAT THE DEWALT RIGHT ANGLE POLISHERS HAVE 7.0-8.0 AMP MOTORS (DEPENDING ON MODEL), THE MAKITA 9277C POLISHER HAS A 10.0 AMP MOTOR. THE PORTER CABLE ALSO HAS A 10.0 AMP MOTOR. SO IF THE DEWALT AND MAKITA BUFFERS DO THE JOB, I,M SURE THAT THE PORTER CABLE WILL TOO.

J

JAMMINJ

I USED THE PORTER CABLE BUFFER YESTERDAY, IT WORKED GREAT. IT IS LIGHT AND EASY TO CONTROL. ITS SLOW START AND VARIABLE TRIGGER MAKE IT EASY TO APPLY COMPOUND WITHOUT SLINGING IT ALL OVER. IT HAD PLENTY OF POWER. I HAVEN'T USED THE MORE POPULAR MAKITA OR DEWALT, BUT THIS BUFFER I THOUGHT WORKED PRETTY GOOD AND IT IS $50 - $75 CHEAPER THAN THE OTHERS (FROM HOME DEPOT). IF YOU NEED A BUFFER, TRY THIS ONE. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT IT HAS 90 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE.

J

JAMMINJ

IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU ARE USING IT FOR. IF YOU ARE JUST WAXING YOUR CAR THE RANDOM ORBIT TYPES WILL WORK, THE MOTOR OVER PAD TYPES WILL WORK FOR POLSHING, IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING THAT CAN BE USED FOR MULTIPLE APPLICATIONS I.E. POLISHING, GLAZING AND WAXING YOU WILL DEFFINITELY WANT TO INVEST IN A RIGHT ANGLE VARIABLE SPEED POLISHER/BUFFER LIKE THE 7420 OR 7428

Jim

I'm painting a motorcycle,Frame touch up,side covers,tanks,fenders, and many small parts.I've been buffing with a borrowed Makita 9227C and love it...so much,I ordered one for myself.( MYTOOLSTORE.COM for $184.00 to my door).It has a loop handle instead of the one like a drill.You can flip it over to rest on the handle. It keeps your buffing pad from getting any debris on it and your foam pads don't loose thier shape.It doesn't bog down,and the body is small enough to hold in one hand while holding the small parts in the other.This way you don't sling your small parts across the room(usually).I run it on 2 1/2 with the Meguires hook and loop backing plate,with foam pads.I can't compare it to any of the others because this is the only one I've used but,I am very happy with it.

Stretch

For those of you running the 7" polishers, are they working fine for motorcycle tanks? Seems a bit large to me?

I just hit the motorcycle salvage yard and picked up two tanks to begin testing on. One is in pretty good shape and I'll just rough it up a bit and spray. The second is a larger touring tank. It's already got at least 4 paint colors on it so I'm stripping it down to the bare metal and starting from scratch.

I've got a smaller compressor, so using a die-grinder wears that out pretty quick. It does pull paint off really well but I know I won't be able to use it for polishing.

I also have used ROLOC pads in my drill, but I'm worried I'm going to wear the drill out with the long term use?

Is it worth my while to go get something that I can use to sand and polish? What would you all recommend. I'd prefer an electric model to help save my compressor. Again, I'm probably only doing motocycle tanks. If I move to cars, I'm sure I'll get an upgraded compressor and at that point a 7" polisher seems to make more sense.

TIA-Stretch

Stretch

For those of you running the 7" polishers, are they working fine for motorcycle tanks? Seems a bit large to me?

I just hit the motorcycle salvage yard and picked up two tanks to begin testing on. One is in pretty good shape and I'll just rough it up a bit and spray. The second is a larger touring tank. It's already got at least 4 paint colors on it so I'm stripping it down to the bare metal and starting from scratch.

I've got a smaller compressor, so using a die-grinder wears that out pretty quick. It does pull paint off really well but I know I won't be able to use it for polishing.

I also have used ROLOC pads in my drill, but I'm worried I'm going to wear the drill out with the long term use?

Is it worth my while to go get something that I can use to sand and polish? What would you all recommend. I'd prefer an electric model to help save my compressor. Again, I'm probably only doing motocycle tanks. If I move to cars, I'm sure I'll get an upgraded compressor and at that point a 7" polisher seems to make more sense.

TIA-Stretch

M

Mitchb71

there are actually hook and loop adapters for DA's that use 3.5" foam, wool, and terry cloth pads for buffing. Thats what i use on my tanks when i buff. It takes longer. But you have more control over your small parts.

ezrider

Blue Point by Snap-on also makes a Micro polisher with 3 and a half inch pads. but it air powered and if your compressor isnt able to keep up the polisher is useless, but if you have the compressor it works real nice on small parts like frames and swing arms.

P

Phil V

I currently use a Makita 9227C that as far as I'm concerned is the finest buffer I've ever used. Every once in a while I will use a new tool that is superior in just about every way,
the Makita 92227C is one of those tools.