buffer basics?

Bnemo

Another noob question/s,
What type of buffer should a noob be looking for. I have read a lot of the post and they talk about variable speed ( dial adjustable I'm assuming) but what range of rpm's am I looking for. Is there any time or place that an air DA sander would work? What price range am I looking at? Also what is you favorite buffing line of compunds or combinations? Any help or info (especailly w/brand and item #'s would be greatly appreciated ) Thanks again in advance. This sight is the da-bomb. thanks to all the info/help I've gotten here I was able to get results like this (see my members gallery pics) on my second time painting... :bigokay:
TIA
Nemo

hoss

i really like the www.wizardproducts.com

as for buffers they run from70-250 bux. you want a variable speed buffer that you can get at about any auto shop.

as for the da sander. it can be converted, but i like the little one that harbor freight has. it's air and compact.

most people like the dewalt buffer, but mine was a 80 dollar one from napa. works for me.

I prefer foam buffing pads. you can get all that stuff from wizard products.

good luck- buffing sux but you have to do it.

T

TAZ

We have a variable speed DeWault. I think it's a little loud compared to my old Makita, but it works fine.
The trigger let's you slowly add speed to the buffer. You can also adjust the top speed. I average about 1600-1800 RPM's.

Cost was about $200.

I also use the foam pads. Haven't used the wool pads for about 12 years now.

I use both 5996 and 6060 3M compounds.

hoss

hey taz have you ever checked out the foam pads from wizard? you could use them w/ your products. they are smooth, and don't look like a foam cusion that you put on your bed.

Bnemo

Thanks Guys! Hoss, I checked out the wizard site. (great step-by-step for noobs :) )From reading their how-to page I am planning on wet sanding w/2000, the using the finish cut with the wool blend pad, then follow up with the yellow pad and finish cut, and finally shine master by hand. Or is that going to be too aggressive for new paint. Should I start w/yellow pad and finish w/white? whaddya think? (btw ..just called Wizard products...no local supplier near me :( guess I'll have to order on-line...)

Last edited:

hoss

just use the yellow pad w/ finish cut and finish her up w/ shine master by hand or w/ the black pad.

you could get away w/ just using the yellow pad and finish cut!

I use 1500 on any dirt spots i see, then follow that up by using 2000 all over.

buff w/ yellow pad and finish cut

wipe all the pieces down w/ one of those soft cloths to find any dull spots

then finish up w/ a pad that you get with waxing compound, and use the master shine like a wax.

remember to apply a little pressure w/ the finish cut and don't buff dry. it's okay do leave the buffing residue. just wipe it off.

flamepain

the makita is a fine tool and bullet proof.have youguys ever heard of frecla.and g mop they work well.will check out this wizard stuff.trouble is i'm in canada.it's like little russia here.

Perk

How you guys pull the scratches with 1500-2000 then foam pads, I was having a hard time with foam pads & 2500, Now I start with 2500 and then go to 3000 before buffing and not only does it seem easier to buff but finish is like glass after the 3000, I was not using a real aggressive compound but it always seemed like I sill would have some fine scratches ??

hoss

oh ya, and you have to watch your folded edges of you paper. these edges will dig a little deeper in the sanding process.

flamepain

those weird guys from up north again

have you guys ever tried dry sanding with 1500 on a d.a .i use an interpad with it and it works pretty good.i get the odd pig tail but less deep scratches.i follow up with lambs wool ,hard foam and then a soft foam pad.it's real good on big jobs like cars and boats.lemme know.cyas:ears:

hoss

if it works for you man, that's cool. never tried it before, but i could keep it in mind?