brandi wine with black flames?

stahle

hi everyone! new to the site. ive looked almost 2 hrs now trying to find my answer but nothing is clear. so i need your help! ok what i want to do is paint my bike (tank and fenders) in the hok brandi wine and then put on black pearl or metallic flames.

1) should i spray on kandy first then layout flames and spray or will the kandy not be noticeable over the black? also should put a layer of colour blender over the kandy?
im gonna use a silver metallic for the basecoat for the candy.

any input on colours/ procedures to doing something like this would be great! I really appreciate all the answers you guys give and help out with ppl. Or even if you know of a thread that i couldnt find that explains it all would be great. thanks guys in advance.

take care, Stahle

gtc73

Hey Stranger!

I'm working on the same type of project. here's some suggestions I got.

1. put down your base coat. The candy is going over something right? like a metalic silver or something to that affect.
2. consider a mid coat hear to protect the base coat while you are doing your artwork or taping of your flames.
3. tape off your flames and mask off everything that will be candy, leaving exposed all your black surface/flames and spray your black.
4. once done and satisfied with your flames, remove your tape/mask and candy over everything.

CAUTION*** candy as a last step might give a "black cherry look" to the black flames. Test panel should be done to see what you get.

5. if you want to assure no black cherry affect, you'll need to reverse the steps, ie silver base/mid coat clear/candy/tape-mask flames and everything you want to remain candy, then spray your black.

bro, I'm a rookie at this, so you may want to get some more input...but this is the general idea. My suggestion about the mid coat clear is to help with preventing any bleeding of the silver base into the candy. But I'm sure the pro's will correct me on this.

stahle

hi gtc73 thanks for the reply that is the general idea of what i thought but thanks for reassuring me! yes i will put the intercoat on it too as well because i wont be doing everythign within 24hrs so i can just scuff it when im ready for the flames. what is your input on the black cherry look? i think it might look pretty neat as opposed to just black? also do you have any recomendations on paint for the black? i want a metallic or pearl black if i can get it. what are some brands you would recomend? thanks for your time and answers i really appreciate it!

gtc73

good morning stahle!

so as far as the black cherry look....dude I think that would be cool. of course the sun light has everything to do with the brandy candy reflections etc, but probably a very cool affect.

In terms of paint, I have 2 local resources, and 1 online resource that I use. PPG/Deltron is one brand which lots of folks love. Can get expensive depending on the line of which PPG has several. here's some PPG info . I've had good results with Kustom Shop . The Kustom Shop brand is less expensive. Kustom Shop has some very nice pearls and one of their base coats called "Tripple Black" which is a solid base black. When it comes to BLACK, and probably not unlike other solid base coats as well, I found out through experience that BLACK is not 100% BLACK like we might think. The less expensive BLACKS use browns and other pigments to make their blacks. Of course the good black is more expensive. And of course House of Kolor which has a very good reputation. And there are tons more out there. Shoot!. I know guys who have rattle canned their bikes and well...the results were amazing....but for my money, I am sticking with the hvlp gun. As you can tell TCP global is a decent online source for all kinds of paints, prep materials, guns etc etc so have fun looking around their site.

Wydir

Not to burst your bubble but I don't no of any Black metallic or black pearl, most black paint I have mixed has silver pearl added. but I am not sure exactly what you are after. there are black candy dyes available though to darken it all up

I am only Familar with PPG DBC and Envirobase as those are the systems I have. But House of Kolor has a lot of good stuff

stahle

wow thanks for all the info gtc 73 defonatly helps me oout i apprecitate you taking your time to help a guy out.

Wydir, i want a metallic as the basecoat under the candy will be metallic silver so i want to keep the metallic throughout the flames too. what would you suggest for this? mixing metallic with the black? if so how much would you recomend roughly as it will show up more in the black right? or do you have any other ideas as what i can do to achieve that look. thanks again for your time! i have never really dabbled with metalics before so all your guys info is really helpful!

Wydir

I guess if I was trying to do what you want using my PPG DBC system I would make a black with silver pearl the formula would be like this for about 1 pint of paint
DMD649 clearbase 50 grams
DMD1683 Black toner 350 grams
DMD1689 Basecoat converter 70 grams
PRLX2 Silver Pearl 10 - 15 grams would mix in slowly at the end to get desired effect (the PRLX pearls are a bit courser than the PRL series) but for what you want you may want to look at mixing in bigger flake in the silver base and the black. I know that Stevenson's paint and supply sells flake online.

Again this is what I would start with for the black on my system. But I would think you would have better results using a HOK custom mix using the shimirin2 system would be more cost effective.
maybe Taz could jump in and maybe make a suggestion as I have not used House of kolor stuff yet.

stahle

wow thank you sir! that is defonatly an option to consider. i will be ordering my stuff online and was already thinkinkg hok so that maybe the way to go for me. thank you again!

Taz, do you have an opinion on this for me, with hok products, i really know nothing about their stuff. Thanks in advance

staryauvsky

Keep in mind that when wine candy is laid over black it can actually give you a brownish look which your not gonna like. Would try it on a test panel first. Back in the early 80's I painted a KZ 900 and ran into this