BODY WORK

N

newbe

OK GUYS HERE IT IS, I HAVE PICKUP, ORIG. WHITE.MY QUESTION IS WHAT STEPS DO I TAKE TO PUT A NEW PAINT JOB ON THIS MACHINE.DO I SAND PAINT ALL THE WAY DOWN TO METAL.IM THINKING OF A BLUE BASE/ CLEAR COAT.DO I USE GRAY PRIMER FIRST, THEN BASECOAT ON TOP.AND DO I USE A SEALER ON BONDO SPOTS. AND HOW DO I GET BONDO SPOTS TO BLEND IN WITH REST OF BOBY. ANY HELP! THANKS NEWBE

B

Billy d

ALot will depend on the condition of the paint. Of course you would get a better job if you stipped it all down, but it's not really neccesary! If the paint is cracking everywhere, then stripping may be your best bet. Any chips in the paint will have to be feathered back. Any bare metal will have to be primed and re sanded. What type of primer you use will depend on what type of paint you are planning on using. Self etching enamel primer is compatible with most all paint. Be sure to mask off any chrome before sanding. Any rust will have to be removed as well, dents, pings etc.. too. This should be you busy for awhile. Remember surface preparation is everything!!! If the surface is prepared poorly the finish will look poor. Prepared right, the finish will look right. You can't short cut anything! Any good painter will tell you that it's an art! Attention to detail makes the difference.
You will need 320 - 420 - 800 - 2000 grit sand paper, again it depends on how and what type of paint you're using.
Sealer coat - This goes on after all the priming and body work is done.
Base coat - Standard no frills one coat paint.
Mid coat - if applying pearl or kandy color.
Clear coat
Activator
Reducer or thinner - Again this will depend on the type of paint you are using. Most these days require reducer.
Most of all you'll need a good friend that has all the info in his head that I just told you that can kinda walk you through it as you go along. Kinda like the folks here, but someone close to home makes it easier.
Hope this helps. Good luck
Bill

N

newbe

THANKS FOR INPUT, IM GOING TO TRY MY BEST. THANK YOU . ANY OTHET TIPS SURE DO APPRECIATE. BY THE WAY THIS IS A COOL SITE.