black smoke on white

yamabob

I have a intake to apply black smoke and some candy red accents to. I can paint anything,but am very new to airbrushing. I have real fire down,but that is mostly all Ive done. The base is cool vanilla (the white you see on newer Chrysler 300's) It has a lot of runners to deal with. So far I have layed down the base and shot some clear. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Bob,

As you know real fire is normally airbrushed over black, but I have seen it before over lighter bases. I remember seeing it over a silver before and it looked pretty good. This was quite some time ago, but if I remember right, they basically used a over-reduced black to create a smoke effect as the backdrop. It had some transparent holes/gaps in it. So this would be your 'black' background for your candy real fire. The black smoke was quite a bit larger than the real fire area. I guess the main thing you need to watch using the black over the white and using this effect would be to make sure it doesn't turn into a black blob. Make the edges quite a bit thinner and have some whispering smoke coming off the top and the sides.
Hope it works out for you.

Like to see pics of it when you are done

:luck:

hoss

think of black as opposite to the real fire. on the real fire you want the edge of your free hand templet to get most of the paint and fade out to the sides (yellow or whatever color you're using). the sides of the licks are your cooler or dark spots. soo w/ black the dark/cooler spots are going to be hit harder because that's the color you're using. which means that your edges of the free hand templet will have to be dusted lightly w/ the black to accomplish the depth.

make sence? you'll just have to play w/ it. some free hand lines will help develope the depth too.

jdean

Practice etc. etc. on scrap, till yer happy with it. try a few drops of white in your black mix to give it a real smoke look. in the old days we would use pure acetylene . adjust the torch so the black smoke leaves the tip in a swirly way much like a cigarette.thing is you got to be able to manipulate the part with your other hand so the smoke lands naturally were needed. keep your distance ! Not difficult to burn the under coats. and it had to be cleared immediately . Primitive but effective. think that method was discovered back in the 50's.

yamabob

Interesting. I've been too busy to anything with this yet. However I appreciate all of your time and answers. I will spend some time playing with these ways. Thanks!!