Big Mistake

BeoBob

Had a big screw up.

The plan was to flow coat all 9 motorcycle parts. A few parts came out fantastic on the first try, no extra work needed. A few parts had a couple of dirt nibs or minor orange peel. Cut, buff, done. It was a learning process but they came out great. The tank ended up with pebbly orange peel in a couple of areas and you could still feel the pinstripe in the same areas. Not enough material in that area, gun too far from the surface. Not a big deal, sand and spray again.

Sanded the tank down with 600 to get all the orange peel off. Washed with soap and water, rinse, and blow the part off with my new air nozzle. AANNDDDD oil spits out the air nozzle in little dots all over the top and one side of the tank!!! ****. Great way to start the day.

So I wash the crap out of the tank with a strong mix of Dawn and hot water using grey Scotchbrite. It took 3 good washings before I couldn’t see the oil any more. By this time the part was completely sanded with the grey pad, super silky smooth. I thought… great, this should look fantastic after a flowcoat. Cleaned the part with PrepAll a few times, ran a tack cloth over it. Ready to shoot.

When I sprayed clear on, it stuck to the surface fine, no fisheyes, flowed out great, nice and smooth finish, but it ran like crazy. I mean it was dripping off the part like water. Same gun, same settings, same clear, mixed the same way, same temperature, same distance, same gun speed, same everything as all the parts that came out great last week. Only variation was the previous parts were sanded down to 400 grit, where this one was sanded down to around 1000.

So I’m guessing here…. But my thoughts are the 1000 grit takes a lot less material to coat because it has less surface area In THE SCRATCH needing to be filled before you get good flow on the surface. I sprayed like I was going over 400. The extra clear went on the floor.

Learn as I go. ****. Won’t forget this one.

Now I have a huge mess of runs all over the tank. The worst area is the edge of the tank seam. Spent 2 hours last night reshaping the clear on the seam with 400, 600, and 1000 on a paint stick.

chopolds

Might be that the 1000 grit finish is a bit too slick for the new clear. I rarely go over 600 grit if sanding clear to recoat. I do it smoother if I am doing a blend, but then I apply coats in the blend area with a blending agent (blender, adhesion promoter, or slow reducer), and go with light coats. The blender probably softens the clear enough to keep it from running easily. Next time if you still go with 1000, put on a light tack coat of clear first, before flowing it out.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not for sure what could have happened. Normally the second coat will 'stick' to the first coat. Possibly you just didn't let it sit long enough between coats.
The 1000 is a little more slicker to paint over than the 400, but it's still manageable.
I always 600DA, then wetsand with 1000 before reclearing or adding graphics.
But for it to run that bad, I'd say it's probably because not enough time period between coats. Or unless you just hammered one of the coats on.

Also, if you have that much oil coming out, I would definitely put a trap on there of some kind
I like using the spray gun filter ball

Link is to some on ebay. This would really help out your issue. Even though I have water traps, I still use the filter balls.

Hope the redo works out for you :)

BeoBob

The runs were on the first coat. I've sprayed this tank probably 10 times between primer, sealer, BC, effects coat, and a few sessions of clear. I used the same spray pattern that has always worked. It ran like crazy. I hammered it on after that, didn't care at that point and knew I needed the extra material for serious sanding.

Oil was from the new air nozzle, not from the compressor.

Sanded more last night. Can't even tell it happened.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Possibly you cleaned your gun and changed the gun settings?

I always leave mine wide open but go by feel. Some painters rely on a specific setting

BeoBob

Nope. Set it up as usual and tested on the paper taped to the wall... just like always. I checked it again on the paper after things went south.

Touched up a few miniscule sand thrus with the little air brush and cleared the tank seam with the big airbrush last night. Needed it to be glossy because there is no way to buff inside that tight corner. Came out super smooth and glossy, just like glass. Almost there!!!!

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent. Souinds like you see the light at the end of the tunnel

Post pics when you're done. Sounds like you've earned to to let other see it as well

Good job

TAZ