Best type of tape to purchase?

J

JRS

Hey,
I am a beginning painter. Thanks to all for your valued input. I see no need to "re-invent the wheel". I am looking for a place in which I can purchase thin tape (1/16" through 2"). Additionally, what is the best kind of tape to purchase when taping flames? I have learned much from you all and I am greatful for the information. Some of which has come at the expense of costly mistakes I'm sure.

rex

I'll tell you my preferences but everyone's different.For outlining I like 1/8" blue fineline for stuff like flames,but if you have sharp bends 1/16" is better.The green fineline is ok but I the blue bends better.I always used 3M,but they've gotten weird lately.Norton is pretty good from my limited use and other's impression.After 1/8" FL I go right to 3/4 or 2" masking tape.3M is it for this,I think the other brands are cheap wannabe's.You can order all this online,but it's easier to get it at the local paint jobber.If you don't know where one is stop in a bodyshop or two and ask them who they use and where the store is.

S

shaunboy

FOR SHARP BENDS 3M BLUE HAS ALWAYS BEEN BEST FOR ME.
IN N.Z WE CALL FINELINE TAPE 3 MILLIMETER OR 6 MILLIMETER I GUESS IT IS THE SAME AS 1/8 -1/16.
I HAVE FOUND THE GREEN 3M 233+ TAPE THE BEST THING EVER FOR GENERAL BODYWORK ,BECAUSE IT SEEMS TO BE MADE OF PLASTIC AND PAPER AT THE SAME TIME.

F

Flamin' A-Hole

Thanks Rex and Shaunboy for your help. I have read allot of advice you have given other beginning painters. It's awesome you would take the time to share your knowledge with us. And it's greatly appreciated, at least by me!