best compound?

chopolds

I get really frustrated with today's compounds! It seems they have additives, oils, or something, that let them get a nice shine very quickly, but then pretty much wash away, or disappears when I do a liquid polish over them. I recently found the remains of the old Ditzler white compound I used to use, which was one of the best, and I tried it on some parts, and it does NOT do that. It takes a while longer to get the shine up, but it stays there. Are there any types of this old fashioned compounds left on the Market toady? I've tried Meguire's Diamond cut, 3M's Perfect it, and Wizard's, and probably one or 2 more, and just about all have had this problem. I usually use just foams to do my routine, very firm, to very soft, in a compound/liquid polish/glaze/hand glaze or wax sequence. I DO wait a long time before I cut and buff, though, as I prefer not to get dieback, or have to resand and compound after a few months, on my show jobs. So the paint is very hard.

tomsteve

ive been using the twins of meguirs m105 and m205 for about 6 years now and love them. to see if a compound has filler I was taught to use some rubbing alcohol over a freshly buffed area. the rubbing alcohol will remove any filler and the true results will show. I did that trying some other compounds and polishes and found it to work. but the twins have been great for me. they don't have fillers and work real good together for me. posting a couples pics in a minute on a thread I started about a pacer I am just about done with. the twins were used after sanding to 1500 grit. pictures don't do it justice.

and ive heard good stuff about pinnacle and menzerna products,too.

chopolds

I had never heard of those products, but just the other day, I saw they had a sale on the two of them together, at Superior Car Care, where I buy my buffing pads. Trial size, I think. I'll have to pick them up and give them a try....Thanks!

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I've never heard of them either....I'll see if my local jobber has some.

Been using the new 3M compound 30369 I think. It works okay, but have to agree it doesn't cut like the old compounds.
I normally wetsand and buff the next day and really hammer it. Then we'll let it sit, and redo it before it gets picked up or shipped out.

We normally use 1500 to wetsand, then white pad and the white compound.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, after just looking up the M105, I do remember using this a couple years ago. Kind of reminded me of the old 3M Super Duty.

yamabob

Pad choice and color are very important. The Megs 105 is a SMAT. I prefer something along the lines of Menzerna FG 400 with a LC orange smart pad. You can further refine with SF4500 and you will have some amazing results. The later is used with a black/grey pad

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
I'll have to check those pads out to. I've always used the 5723 3M pads. Was using another waffle pad for awhile, but from what I was told since 3M had the patent on the waffle type pad, they could no longer do their pads like 3M's so they changed and it didn't seem to buff as good

yamabob

Years ago i used the same 3M pad on my old Makita 9227. Now some of the new D/A's( Flex 3401/Rupes LHR-21ES) rather quickly remove 1500/2000 sand marks and leave much more material behind and do not induce micro marring such as the rotaries will

IMAGE CONTROL

SONAX CUTMAX & PERFECT FINISH are both water based with no fillers. I do sand & polish a lot, fillers can be very deceptive for sand scratches.