Basic/beginner airbrush equipment

nrburkett

Well I am gearing up to paint my bike myself and want to "play" with the possibility to do some airbrushing with stenciles. I have been making some of my own stenciles, but do not want to drop big $$$$ on something I may only use once.

Now, I have most everything else, sander, small (cheap) 7 oz HVLP for spraying the tins, 20 gallon 1.8 HP air compressor< basic, but does what any homeowner might need it to do.

I need help with a LOW cost, basic, beginner airbrush that if I learn is totally not me, I will not be out large sums of $$$$.

T

TAZ

Well, I'm not for sure how 'low' low is, but if you want a very decent airbrush, the Iwata HP-C is a very good airbrush. I believe you can get this for $90-$110. This is a great dual action airbush. Once you get good, and you really want to get some good detail, you can get the more expensive Micron airbrushes.
You don't want to go too cheap, otherwise you will end up with cheap single action airbrushes. At least the HP-C has great control and is well built to last.

That's really the only two airbrushes I've owned, so
I'm sure some of the other members can have some good input for you!!

hoss

i agree w/ scott. you could get a HP-C or even an Eclipse. those two are iwata airbrushes and great for the beginner. I've had my HP-C since i've started and just now moved up to the micron. how long have i had that airbrush scott? as long as i've been on this forum. 4-5 years???

good luck w/ your paintin!

nrburkett

WOW, thanks for the suggestions. As for cheap, my wife looks at it like just another one of my many "obsessions" and might get a little pi$$y at the cost of one of those. If I could find one used at say under 50.00 she would probably not :beat: And she has a right to ? this as I have gone through some expensive hobbies over the years. Though my most expensive is still up and running and we both enjoy it.

'03 zx6r

you could also check out the master g44. i have two and i love them. got them for 30 bucks each. some might not agree, but for the price it does and an awesome job. thing is, it is a .2mm needle for a stencil, it might be a bit annoying to fill in. the iwata would be better since it has a .3mm needle. tcpglobal.com has all airbrush even master with 3's

DB Smith

I've heard a lot of good things about the Iwata, but I wanted to get something US made if possible. I was looking at the Devilbiss, but got a good deal on a Badger 3155. It's a syphon type brush, but I'm used to that. It should be a big improvement over the old Binks single action external I've been using.

Anybody else out there still using Badger brushes ??

LoneStarBrand

You can pick up the deluxe airbrush from Harbor Freight 19.99 sometimes on sale for 14.99 always have coupons circulating in mags... If its just another one of your obsessions its easy on the pockets. Not to mention its a good bottom feed brush. The cup is what probably what make it sale at this price, the siphon doenst go all the way to the bottom, like a design flaw, basically what i call a brush that didnt pass inspection for a NAME BRAND. I grab one everytime im there... believe it not comes in handy when my $$$ ones act up.

LoneStarBrand

I've heard a lot of good things about the Iwata, but I wanted to get something US made if possible. I was looking at the Devilbiss, but got a good deal on a Badger 3155. It's a syphon type brush, but I'm used to that. It should be a big improvement over the old Binks single action external I've been using.

Anybody else out there still using Badger brushes ??

more often than my iwata, had it since high school 34 now, sent it in last yr and the refurbished for me... really happy with that! 150 pro

Muktown19

Well, I'm not for sure how 'low' low is, but if you want a very decent airbrush, the Iwata HP-C is a very good airbrush. I believe you can get this for $90-$110. This is a great dual action airbush. Once you get good, and you really want to get some good detail, you can get the more expensive Micron airbrushes.
You don't want to go too cheap, otherwise you will end up with cheap single action airbrushes. At least the HP-C has great control and is well built to last.

That's really the only two airbrushes I've owned, so
I'm sure some of the other members can have some good input for you!!

To piggyback on what TAZ said, I agree with everything he said, and would add that if you find that you don't want to pursue airbrushing and decide to sell your Iwata, they hold their resale value pretty well, so you could throw it up for sale, and not lose much money when you sell it.

VisioN

Paasche V -good detailer, Paasche VL - good for larger areas. Replacement parts are cheap i.e Nozzles and needles.

GALE

you could in like manner take a gander at the expert g44. I have two and I love them. got them for Thirty bucks each. some most likely won't agree, yet at the cost it makes and a radiant appearing concerning. thing is, it is a .2mm needle for a stencil, it might be to some degree aggravating to fill in.