BASF Refinish Training Center

jimmo

I once again had the pleasure of visiting the BASF training center today and thought I should bring a camera along to show the folks out there what these buildings offer and tend to look like. My course today wasn't the kind of hands on courses I'm accustomed to but still was able to learn alot. Today we looked at the Smarttrack mixing system and all of the powerfull options and features that can be used to track inventory, costing and many other things.

This is the main classroom you will see as you walk in, it is were you learn the theory of the course:
dsc02136fu.jpg

In the classroom here they have some of the neatest things on display. Some custom painted hockey masks, golf clubs and airbrush work displayed all around you.
dsc02128r.jpg

dsc02123ro.jpg

And a gutair of course!
dsc02132ln.jpg

They have a few other various teaching aids to show demonstrations such as dried product pucks demonstrating flexible vs non-flexible. They have boards that show how color blends, the difference pressure makes and the difference certain cleaner choices make.

dsc02129b.jpg

dsc02126r.jpg

Next we move into the shop were the theory gets put into play. We have an extremely well kept tile floor, state of the art equiptment and one heck of a nice paint booth...well one and a half, they have a sorta parts cut-in style room off to the side. Most lights are off today since this class didn't require any work out here.

dsc02109px.jpg

dsc02111r.jpg

And we have the monster here, it takes all the abuse we can throw at it. I remember practicing spot repair and testing new products on this car before. Its on a dolly so it can be moved anywhere around the shop:

dsc02117.jpg

Now this contraption has always caught my eye. I had the pleasure of having a chemist come and explain it to me. It's a salt simulator that they use to test there coatings. You can see something inside of it now, DC92 caught my eye but I don't know the exact experiment here. They do use this center for more then just training, she explained they will sometimes test a new color in here for 1,500-3,000 hrs or more before approving it for a specific purpose. Sometimes new OEM colors are testing through it and often released in higher UV area's such as Flordia or Arizona a few years prior to a full production. They mark a cross hatch before and perform adhesion tests after the cycle is finished. Here is the bad boy here:

dsc02133c.jpg

That's about it. Courses typically run anywhere from 1-3 Days depending on what your going in for. I look forward to coming back for the Carrizma custom painting course but am informed I will have to wait until the waterborne version is released sometime in the near future.

(I had to remove some pictures as I went over the limit here - you can see a few others here)

G

Nice Jimmo!!!! I used to spray the Glasurit 54 line...one of my favorites as the base lays down nice and 'flat'
Thanks for for the post!