Basecoat

W

Willie

What if I get dust etc., on the basecoat? Can I sand it out? Please help, and thank you. Will

T

TAZ

Will,
On most solid color basecoats, you can get away with lightly scuffing the paint, but if you scuff a metallic or pearl basecoat chances are pretty good that you might disrupt the way the metallics lay.
If I get a small piece of dirt in a metallic, I usually scuff it with 2000 grit, then I spray another coat over the area, then I'll clear the panel.
Scott

N

Nate Hansen

I was wondering the same thing. Why couldnt you sand it with 1500 or so to get out imperfections and then clear? I understand that you need the chemical bond there, but if you sand it well enough wouldnt the mechanical bond hold well enough? I was just wondering, because if you are going to spray in a garage like I am, chances are you're going to get dust in the coat that you put on after sanding out the imperfections, making the work you just did a waste, not to mention the waste in materials if it was a large area.

T

TAZ

If you plan on spraying in a garage, and you plan on possibly getting some dust particles in the basecoat, then chances are you are going to get even more in the clear (since the clear dries much slower then basecoat). Your best bet is to tack each basecoat as you go, then go ahead clear it.

Now, if you are talking about a situation where you plan on spraying a color like white as your basecoat, then getting dark colored particles in it, then of course clearing over this would do you no good since these will really stand out. Even wetsanding the basecoat would do no good either since the dirt is in the base. Also as mentioned, if you wetsand a metallic base, there is a good chance of disrupting the way the metallics lay. This will really stand out once your clear.

Your best bet is to do as I mentioned above and that is to tack off each coat of base as you go, then go ahead and clear directly over the base without wetsanding. If you use a true basecoat, most of these dry very quickly. So any dust that lands on it, you will be able to tack off between the coats.

You will be able to wetsand any particles that land in the clear thus giving you a nice flat finish.

Scott