Base coat or top-coat?

G

Garry

When shooting flames, could anyone give me some advice on whether using a Base-coat for the flames or what I hear is called top-coat paint. I have my "base-coat" shot on my tank, it's PPG Deltron 2000 Black. I'm lookin to shoot the flames in a deep Blue/ Purple, semi-ghost, lil' stand-out, if ya know what I mean.In other words, not super reduced and mixed with blending clear. Should I just pick out a "standard color" off the fan deck? or would they mix a base-coat color, lets say a deep blue, and then maybe add some purple pearl to that to give me a colorshifting effect? Keep in mind my base-coat is acrylic-urethane PPG. I know about Duponts ChromaLusion Paints , but can't see droppin that kinda cash, besides they only sell it in quarts ranging from about $200.00 to $500.00 bucks, that's crazy.Bottom-line is I just want a nice deep blue/purple acrylic urethane to shoot my flames with. Any input much appreciated. PS> I'm gonna clear my bike with PPG DCU2021. Thanx Again and Happy Holidays.

G

Garry

Think I figured it out. I'm just gonna get the 2-stage paint minus the clear.

G

Garry

Let me re-phrase that. I'm gonna use a base-coat for my flames and then clear coat.
wink.gif

T

TAZ

Good choice.
Basecoat color for the flames will also help keep the flame edge minimal, then you can clear the complete part once you are done. You will also be able to clear right away the part right away with the basecoat since it will dry so quick.