Base coat or enamel?

hoss

I have just started painting (flames), and i love it. I've never painted before. I am a music teacher, and i have flames all over my chalk boards. The kids love it.
Here's my questions: I just used some of my friends base coat colors to flame w/, and it had a tendency to dry and flake on my airbrush tip. I was trying to shade the outside of the flame, and the stream was going irregular it pissed me off. What suggestions do you have for me when i am using base coats in my airbrush?

Do people primarily do flames w/ a base coat or acrilic enamel? B/c the acrilic enamel works well w/ my airbrush, and i can get any color i want for 5 dollars a qt.

Bornhard

I only use Urathane Basecoat paints. Try adding slower reducer to your mix and lower the airpressure a bit. Also keep some clean reducer near you with a $1 paintbrush. Dip the brush in the reducer and clean off the dry paint on the needle with it. Make sure you spray a little on another surface near by or point towards the ground before going straight back to your project you're painting!

Should help out a bit

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

hoss

are there any disadvantages to useing the paint that is not a base coat and then put a clear over the top of it?