Anyone use the Sharpe Platinum HO gun?

K

kevsLX

I'm tired of my Harbor Frieght gun and want to step up but am still on a budget. I can get a refurb Sharpe Platinum HO for $175 plus shipping. Any thoughts on that gun?
I have a 7 horse 60 gallon Porter Cable compressor, 9.7 SCFM @ 90 PSI.

rex

There is someone here that uses Sharpe but I can't remember who.I never liked the feel of them and always go back to DeVilbiss.Good price by the sounds of it though.This is all just my personal preference so don't let it turn you off to it.Your compressor should be fine,you're probably at 11+ cfm at 45lbs.

K

kevsLX

Thanks Rex. I'd like to try the Milenium GTI but I think it's too much for my compressor from some of the specs I've read. Probably fine for doing tanks and stuff but I do an occasional car.

trikypaint

I've got the Sharpe HO gun and love it. I used to use a deVilbiss before, but now use it for my primer gun. For the HO you'll need 40 PSI @ the gun to get 10 PSI @ the cap. Best setting I've found with it is- 40-45 PSI at the gun with air flowing through the gun. Material control knob set with 4-5 threads showing in front of the knob. Fan control knob adjusted to 8-10 inch spray pattern at an 6-8 inch distance.

Hope this helps.

K

kevsLX

Thanks, that does help alot.
I still have not broke down and made a purchase yet. Now some places have a promo special from Sharpe with the Cobalt gun and the new T1 Titanium compliant gun for around $360 as a pair in a nice blow molded case. I'm thinking of going with that if I can ever get ahead on the money.

T

Torquewrench

When I researched guns I went to all the good bodyshops around town and soon discovered that they all used Sata guns. Now most of the Satas are pretty expense($500-$600). But one shop turned me onto a nice Sata gavity fed conventional gun that was only $300. It's called the Sata Jet-B. It's great at shooting clear coat and base. The only difference in it and the other high priced Satas is that the fluid adjustment is factory set and non adjustable. I'm refering to the lower adjustment knob on the back of the handle that most people just turn out to full anyway. It's a great gun for the price and it's nice to know you're working with the best.

B

Bigdan1928

I use the sata jet 90 and 95. I love them!I use the 90 for base and the 95 for my clear.I paid around 400 each but fell that you get what you pay for. Also,i use a old devillbis for the imron[i know]on the trucks.Imron needs 75 to 80 at the gun and ive found that only the devilbis can do it with no peel.I hate dupont but that dam imron lasts forever!

S

Scott M

Hey KevsLX
Everhart sales has the Sharpe HVLP Titanium T1 1.3 and compliant T1-CG 1.4 in a combo set and case for $395. http://www.everhartsales.com/viewitem.asp?ItemID=857&Page=4&SortOrder=ASC&SortBy=It emNumber

And Spraygundepot. com has them at $375
http://www.spraygunworld.com/products/Sharpe/indexCOMBO.htm But I would have to pay sales tax in California.

They have the primer/T1-CG combo for $299, though.

The T1-CG is an awesome gun for clearcoat.
Supposedly you can take the air cap from the T1-CG which is the standard size air cap for all nozzle sizes and put it on a T1 HVLP gun with 1.3 nozzle. I haven't tried this yet.

The HVLP T-1 with 1.3 sprays about the same as my old SATA NR95 with 1.3. The reason I got the compliant T1-CG is that the NR95 gave me too much orange peel on the clearcoats and just about everyone I asked said to get a newer Sata RP compliant. The Sharpe T1-CG is half the price of a compliant SATA RP, so I feel like I got two guns for the price of one with the above deal from Everhart. I guess I could have gotten by with just buying the T1-CG by itself, but now I can dedicate my old NR95 for epoxy primer and use the new HVLP T1 for basecoat.

I already had a Cobalt with a 1.6mm tip I use with K36 primer, but I wouldn't bother using it for basecoat even if I got the 1.4 tip for it. The Cobalt doesn't lay down as smooth a coat as a Finishline II in my opinion.
So, for me the Cobalt is just an average primer gun.