Anyone doing 4-5+ Coats of clear in a single session? Help with my crater issue..

SmokedLights

Hello been a few forums/groups mostly collision work hoping for help with more "unconventional" method of painting. Ill try to make it as short as possible. Ive been tinting tail lights for awhile with a candy dye in clear.. usually about 2-3 back to back med. coats of clear. rip any tape then 3 coats usually on top to get a nice flat "glassy" piece. I aim to stay entirely away from the buffer whenever possible and have a nice glass finish. Ive been having an issue with these very small craters randomly around the object usually about 10 min after Im done with last coat. I NEVER see them on initial coats and never appear right away, If I do see them or have a bad outbreak I seem to go back in and put another coat on and it completely and easily burys them so I know they are not contamination.. I believe it is some kind of reaction in the solvent/curing process although its happened with two different clears for me now. I believe Im probably stacking too much clear in one session, one quick coat of clear scuff and 2-3 coats the next day would solve my issue BUT I do not have the time for that given the production of my operation. So just trying to get some insight from people who may stack clear at a single time.. What clear are you using, flash times etc? Alot of the lights are facing up (as a hood or roof would) so I think i have a tendency to put it on pretty thick as well. Id hate to add more solvent to the mix but Im thinking a bit more reducer in my clear and spray less overall material so it still wants to lay down nicely? any help is appreciated.

TAZ

Administrator
Staff member
The only thing I can think of is that is could possibly be caused by something you are wiping the headlights with before painting. Normally if you are painting headlights, there's a reason....because they are chalky. So even when you sand these down, whatever you are wiping them with soaks into the plastic, then comes out once you spray them.

Think back on the headlights you are having problems with. Were they chalky when you first started sanding them? What are you wiping them with?

Are you using a basecoat candy or a urethane candy?

SmokedLights

Im not painting headlights, im painting tail lights. None of the "chalkey" factory clear coat on tails as there is on tails.. Its 110% not contamination, nothing im wiping them with is never on first couple coats..