Another createx ?

O

onlouds10

I just picked up 6 bottles of the createx paint. I got it from Hobby Lobby it said on the sign that it could be used on metal. So does this mean that it is ok to use on murals and flames on cars and bikes or is just the Autoline of Createx to be used for cars and bikes. Just starting out and wondering. . .

T

TWISTED

Both regular and auto air will work. They can also be mixed together for custom colors. The auto air seems to have a higher solid content to it. I try not to use the bond all too much. It seems to cause spraying problems. When clearing lay down a dry coat followed by your normal clearing process.

O

onlouds10

Thanks for the info. I think that I will give it a try. I did not want to mess up the mural that I'm plaining on my tailgate. So it will take clear ok with no plroblems. Well i guess that I have some work to do this weekend . .

D

DDG

One of the main differences between the two is the regular Createx has transparent colors were as the AA doesn't.
Dirt

O

onlouds10

I'm happy to find out the info about the differences. I like the fact that I can drive down the steet and pick up some paint when I need it and it will work fine, plus the price is nice too. You stated that is one of the major differences what would some of the others be. Just tring to find out all I can about the paint. Thanks again for the help. . .

D

DDG

Color choices, the colors of the AA are geared more toward the custom painting side vs. the t-shirt and illustration side.
With AA, you will find metallics, pearls and some chameleons. The AA seems to be
a little thicker or has more pigment for color coverage.
Hope this helps,
Dirt

Austin

Sorry for hopping on to a post, but I was wondering about createx aswell. I painted 12 feet of flames on a wall in my kids room with createx, but it doesn't seem to dry up very well. I read in some other posts that you heat set it for fabrics. Would I do this on a wall as well? If so how would you recomend I do it? I am a autobody painter by trade so I don't know much about these types of paints.
Thanks
Austin

T

TWISTED

Austi did you add the catalyst to the paint?
Sometimes that helps. If not the blow dryer should still work. Don't let it get too hot or it will start to bubble.

Stretch

I painted my kid's room as well (Calvin & Hobbes theme) using the straight Createx paint (not AutoAir) and it worked out great. I didn't set it or anything and it seems to be holding up well. If it's not drying I would get out the hair dryer and go over it with that. That should help set it up if needed.

-Stretch

Austin

No, I didn't use any catalyst. At the time I didn't reolize they had a catalyst. It seems to be dry, but I could wipe it off with a wet cloth. I'll try to use a heat gun and lightlt go over it.
Thanks.....
Austin

T

TWISTED

I have found that painting on bedroom walls works best with a flat or satin base. The semi-gloss and gloss paints don't give the artwork anything to hold on to. That may be why it wipes off easily.

Austin

That would be the main problem then. I hate household latex paint, so I bought this really expensive semi-gloss scrubable paint so I wouldn't have to do it again.
Well, I'll just try to heat set it and hope it lasts awhile. It would suck if it wears off, but live and learn.
Automotive paints are much more cut-and-dry, whats right and whats wrong. Latex sux
Austin

C

chopper45hd

new here so i hope this dont go against the rules. hobby lobby here only carrys regular createx. i went looking around and bearair has the best selection and price for everything airbrushing. if any one wants the addy let me know or do a web search for it.
think i am gonna like this group.
chopper

G

gc

Createx has 3 types of paint for the airbrush. Regular Illustration paint, Textile paint, and Automotive. All are water based and not as durable as solvent based paints thus will not take tape if using in multi-layer graphics. The flouresent paints will fade rather quickly when exposed continually to direct sunlight and most (except Auto Air) will fade (on a mail box) in about a year.

To help speed drying time just use a heat gun to evaporate the water. Only the textile line actually needs to be heat set. This is so the polymer binder can "grab" the material it is painted on.

I have used Createx paints in conjuction with automotive paints on surfaces from t-shirts to lexan slot car and R/C car bodies to cars and bikes. Just remember they are waterbased and that they must be completely dry before clearing.
bigokay.gif
bigokay.gif