Another air compressor question??

I

imported_bill

Still researching what tools to buy to spray my tank and fenders. Just a hobby, not looking to go into business.
I went to Sears and the salesman recommended their 3.5 hp 25 gallon 2 Stage Compressor. (5.6 scfm @ 40 psi and 5.1 scfm @ 90 psi).
It operates on 120 volt. I also have 220 service available.
I am looking into spraying with any of the following guns: I want to spray primer - clear.
Devilbiss Finishline HVLP
Devilbiss GTI
Sata nr 2000
Sata Mini Jet

Can anyone out there offer any suggestions on what I sould do.

Thanks

groovesdown

Bill - Check the SCFM requirements for the spray guns you are looking at and try to get a gun that will not eat up more air than your air compressor can provide. I have the Craftsman 6 hp which provides more SCFM and I've been looking for a spray gun that will work up to it's potential. I think I've found a good gun at www.toolparadise.com. I'ts a Sharp Platinum HPLV and is designed for low air supply use. You can also buy a refurbished one directly from Sharpe for about $100.00. I haven't heard much about these guns on the flames board here but elsewhere they get great reviews. Hope you get what you need.

Groovesdown

I

imported_bill

Thanks groovesdown,
I was also looking at that 6 hp from Craftsman but for some reason he steared me towards the lower hp 2 stage.
How does your compressor do with operating a DA sander?

fisheye

I have a craftsman 5HP (6.4 @90psi), I use a Devilbiss finishline. I get about one minute of spray time before the compressor kicks back on. This is fine for tanks, fenders etc. But would not be very good for larger items such as a car.
Get the largest outut (CFM) compressor ou can afford IMO.

Brian

groovesdown

Bill - Brian's right, get the highest rated SCFM compressor you can afford. The 6hp one was within my price range. I don't know about DA sanders but I do use die grinders with it a lot although I believe it's more than it really can handle. But until I can afford to drop a grand on one this will have to do. For painting motorcycles it's cool but I'd have a stroke before I could finish a car with it. Another thing to consider is mine is a one stage oil-free deal. Little or no maintenence. Cheap enough when it takes a dump on me I'll trash it. Kinda like the beater bikes I rode for a few years. Beat on em till they die then get another one. Weigh your options and go with what suits ya.

Groovesdown

BikerJake

Hey groovesdown,

I hate to call to you publicly but I can't send you a private message on this board. I live in Mason, MI and starting to paint custom MC's. My parents live in Brohman and I get there pretty often. If your interested email me and maybe we can hook up. classicjake@earthlink.net